Discuss Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dropped one on my foot once ,dented the steel toecap had a little V in it needed new boots ,apart from trying not to drop it on your foot is watch out for the asbestos in those flash pads

Dont get me wrong they deffo recommend for change but if the doors are secured by wing nut fasteners then access can be gained without a tool and the exposed live parts are then a issue for you to make good temp' as anyone on site could put themselves in danger i would take a few minor steps like fitting a padlock and giving the key to the foreman/boss while you file your report and send it in..... if anyone gains access in the mean time you have taken steps to limit this so keeps you in the clear.... it also heightens the need to replace them to the client.

Because you can close the doors i would recommend at a minimum you fit an appropriate warning label warning of the dangers in access to the board.

If you found accessable exposed live parts in a domestic install it would be down to you to make this immediate danger safe whether a temp measure or not while you file your inspection report.
but emptyheads shouldn`t be going into enclosures ...should they...

That is one old set of boards.if it was me I would recommend replacement too.
was AC orange and DC painted red?just reminded me of a horrible plant I used to work in when I was an apprentice.it had a mercury arc rectifier which glowed like something out of star trek for the dc supply.god only knows how it worked never mind how they got it out when the plant got demolished.brings back memories of working on sh!te boards like that!

I've been involved with a colleague in progressively updating a mill over the last couple of years. Your pictures bring back memories of what this system was like but ours was about 3x the size, with a number of 75amp 3ph motors to control!

It's a wonder they have been allowed to get away with it by their insurance company - especially as a mill is a high risk area. Then of course they can also get a visit any day from the HSE and depending on who you get, those Guys can be very difficult to please. They won't let them off the hook until it's brought up to standard.

so you think the enclosures doesn`t count here then?

no safe iso then?

How many industrial installations have you been responsible for? Over the years, I've had to look after many, and there's no way I'd leave a setup like that in place, regardless of whether it was in an enclosure.
As for safe isolation, you've led a very sheltered life if you've never opened an industrial fuseboard without completely isolating it first!

but emptyheads shouldn`t be going into enclosures ...should they...

The very point i was trying to make .... the old cast iron fuseboards don't really have much indication on them to what is inside and the dangers ....so even as a simple solution as you write up your report is to i always fit a warning sticker/sign .... a lot of factories i work in are full of immigrants who barely speak the queens english yet alone understand electric and its dangers so a visual pictured warning sign at least should twig a neuron to fire its a tad dangerous if they then ignore this its not my issue......... stupidity is everywhere we built a control system for a hopper feed which had a large inline fan... one day health and safety called us into a meeting explaining an accident had occured and a operator had lost his hand and we were asked how this could happen why were appropriate gaurds and limits not fitted.....

We looked at the machine and saw the chain of events that caused the accident and had a second meeting to explain ourselfs....

We explained when an operator climbs over the safety fencing on top of the machine and then starts to remove 20 captive bolts off the side of the fan case with the use of a torque set and then proceeds to unblock it as his collegue keeps checking as he shouts to see if it is unblocked then im afraid no amount of safety measures can prevent deliberate stupidity .... a breakdown in his communication while he unblocked the fan meant his collegue pressed the start button at the wrong time and the fan ws free enough to start up....

'Thankyou for your co-operation we will no longer need your assistance' ..... They were satisfied we had complied with the required H/S and met the requirements of the risk assessment on the machine but the company had failed in its training of operators, safety protocol etc and were handed a hefty fine ......

Just to highlight 'monkey see monkey do' they had seen it done by proper maintenance safety protocol but didn't want to pay and decided to try do it themselves... but missing out the crucial safety steps.

The very point i was trying to make .... the old cast iron fuseboards don't really have much indication on them to what is inside and the dangers ....so even as a simple solution as you write up your report is to i always fit a warning sticker/sign .... a lot of factories i work in are full of immigrants who barely speak the queens english yet alone understand electric and its dangers so a visual pictured warning sign at least should twig a neuron to fire its a tad dangerous if they then ignore this its not my issue......... stupidity is everywhere we built a control system for a hopper feed which had a large inline fan... one day health and safety called us into a meeting explaining an accident had occured and a operator had lost his hand and we were asked how this could happen why were appropriate gaurds and limits not fitted.....

We looked at the machine and saw the chain of events that caused the accident and had a second meeting to explain ourselfs....

We explained when an operator climbs over the safety fencing on top of the machine and then starts to remove 20 captive bolts off the side of the fan case with the use of a torque set and then proceeds to unblock it as his collegue keeps checking as he shouts to see if it is unblocked then im afraid no amount of safety measures can prevent deliberate stupidity .... a breakdown in his communication while he unblocked the fan meant his collegue pressed the start button at the wrong time and the fan ws free enough to start up....

'Thankyou for your co-operation we will no longer need your assistance' ..... They were satisfied we had complied with the required H/S and met the requirements of the risk assessment on the machine but the company had failed in its training of operators, safety protocol etc and were handed a hefty fine ......

Just to highlight 'monkey see monkey do' they had seen it done by proper maintenance safety protocol but didn't want to pay and decided to try do it themselves... but missing out the crucial safety steps.
well this is a 3 anyway on an ECR...so just note it...and move on....if they dont want it sorting at least you have arse covered yourself....
i mean i wouldn`t just go round labeling up enclosures...unless they were paying for it dark..
after all its a service isn`t it...

How many industrial installations have you been responsible for? Over the years, I've had to look after many, and there's no way I'd leave a setup like that in place, regardless of whether it was in an enclosure.
As for safe isolation, you've led a very sheltered life if you've never opened an industrial fuseboard without completely isolating it first!
i understand that sometimes safe iso cant be carried out before going into enclosures....so do you agree that only competant persons should be going into enclosures then?

Reminds me once i followed another companies Periodic (as known at the time) inspection report... it had a NOTE-1 live wire hanging down from ceiling and guess what yes live wire hanging down 3ph swa aout 7ft off ground and exposed ..... i couldn't believe their lack of competence as this warranted an immediate hazard to life and should have been disconnected...I rang them on behalf of the company and reemed them a new rectal passage ..at first they said its not their responsibility as it was only an inspection but had been noted! I quickly reminded them of their responsibilty for the safety of the customer and asked them if we had a fatality on site following their visit i would wonder where they stood legally as it was a dangerous situation they knew and walked away from ..... it took 5mins to disconnect.

Agree most of the time going about things and doing the report is fine but as a competent electrician where the case may be you are required if neccessary to make safe a hazard of such nature... 1 EICR i did shut the power off opened the DNO 's ISU and withdrew the fuses.... rang them and they were straight out kinda only one of the few times you can break the seals legally when the tails were melting together ......:shocked:

Reminds me once i followed another companies Periodic (as known at the time) inspection report... it had a NOTE-1 live wire hanging down from ceiling and guess what yes live wire hanging down 3ph swa aout 7ft off ground and exposed ..... i couldn't believe their lack of competence as this warranted an immediate hazard to life and should have been disconnected...I rang them on behalf of the company and reemed them a new rectal passage ..at first they said its not their responsibility as it was only an inspection but had been noted! I quickly reminded them of their responsibilty for the safety of the customer and asked them if we had a fatality on site following their visit i would wonder where they stood legally as it was a dangerous situation they knew and walked away from ..... it took 5mins to disconnect.

Agree most of the time going about things and doing the report is fine but as a competent electrician where the case may be you are required if neccessary to make safe a hazard of such nature... 1 EICR i did shut the power off opened the DNO 's ISU and withdrew the fuses.... rang them and they were straight out kinda only one of the few times you can break the seals legally when the tails were melting together ......:shocked:
well i can fully understand your actions over a 1....but as for adequate labelling of enclosures etc....

Not labelling in that sense i meant if their isnt any form of indication that exposed live parts are present in an old box i just stick a sticker on as i test it not part of the full labelling it may require its just as a hazard warning if you can gain access without a tool ..while in the meantime i write the report up which will have my coded report on it.

Not labelling in that sense i meant if their isnt any form of indication that exposed live parts are present in an old box i just stick a sticker on as i test it not part of the full labelling it may require its just as a hazard warning if you can gain access without a tool ..while in the meantime i write the report up which will have my coded report on it.
well i suppose its like a duty of care thing....but it does not exonerate crappy management from their duties to their employees etc...

i understand that sometimes safe iso cant be carried out before going into enclosures....so do you agree that only competant persons should be going into enclosures then?

Firstly, I agree that only competent persons should be opening enclosures, just the same as only competent persons should be working on their own home installations. Doesn't always happen though in the real world, and I bet you've come across machine operators who carry adjustable spanners and screwdrivers just to "have a look". Yes, it would be their own fault if they went inside an enclosure, but an old MD I worked for once gave me some good real-world advice...treat the operators like children.
Secondly, even a competent person can hurt themself (yes, I've done it), especially when it's a breakdown at 3am, you're bone-tired, and the production supervisor is breathing down your neck.

Its likened to having a busbar chamber held closed with a wingnut...(how would you code this?) old boards are both dangerous to the general idiot and also the the competent electrician who has never seen such an aged board and as such should be treated with 100% respect and coded as such....the problem is that it is routine for unqualified non-competent workers to replace blown fuse wire but carries a risk of death unlike modern boards which dont require entry to reset devices and in most cases are designed to be finger safe within, the added danger here is that entry to the old fuseboard is invitable when a fuse blows where-as the busbar i meantioned dosn't have this problem.

Reply to Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net