Discuss Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dropped one on my foot once ,dented the steel toecap had a little V in it needed new boots ,apart from trying not to drop it on your foot is watch out for the asbestos in those flash pads

Dont get me wrong they deffo recommend for change but if the doors are secured by wing nut fasteners then access can be gained without a tool and the exposed live parts are then a issue for you to make good temp' as anyone on site could put themselves in danger i would take a few minor steps like fitting a padlock and giving the key to the foreman/boss while you file your report and send it in..... if anyone gains access in the mean time you have taken steps to limit this so keeps you in the clear.... it also heightens the need to replace them to the client.

Because you can close the doors i would recommend at a minimum you fit an appropriate warning label warning of the dangers in access to the board.

If you found accessable exposed live parts in a domestic install it would be down to you to make this immediate danger safe whether a temp measure or not while you file your inspection report.
but emptyheads shouldn`t be going into enclosures ...should they...

That is one old set of boards.if it was me I would recommend replacement too.
was AC orange and DC painted red?just reminded me of a horrible plant I used to work in when I was an apprentice.it had a mercury arc rectifier which glowed like something out of star trek for the dc supply.god only knows how it worked never mind how they got it out when the plant got demolished.brings back memories of working on sh!te boards like that!

I've been involved with a colleague in progressively updating a mill over the last couple of years. Your pictures bring back memories of what this system was like but ours was about 3x the size, with a number of 75amp 3ph motors to control!

It's a wonder they have been allowed to get away with it by their insurance company - especially as a mill is a high risk area. Then of course they can also get a visit any day from the HSE and depending on who you get, those Guys can be very difficult to please. They won't let them off the hook until it's brought up to standard.

so you think the enclosures doesn`t count here then?

no safe iso then?

How many industrial installations have you been responsible for? Over the years, I've had to look after many, and there's no way I'd leave a setup like that in place, regardless of whether it was in an enclosure.
As for safe isolation, you've led a very sheltered life if you've never opened an industrial fuseboard without completely isolating it first!

Reply to Old Mill Electrical Installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net