Discuss Old Sparky - should I come out of retirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello to one and all. Spent most of this morning browsing this forum and thought why not stick my toe into the water and give it a try... I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback from any of the experienced members on here with regards to my current 'predicament'. Thanks in anticipation.

Quick snapshot of my situation - Did traditional electrical apprenticeship back in mid 1970's, qualified up to the old C&G 'C Cert' (later became Part 3) but by mid 1980's had re-trained and moved into Computer Maintenance industry. 22 years at that before jacking it in 2005 to start a residential property business of my own. Along the way I'd jumped back in and got my 17th Edition as had always done majority of my own electrical work (was mainly refurbing/reselling properties).

On the whole, things were generally good but post 2008 economic downturn put a bit of a dent in it all and after plodding along for a while I chucked that in about 3 years ago and went into semi-retirement and since then have just worked 3 days a week in a stress-free driving job that has absolutely nothing to do with electrics, computers or property! (my income is supplemented by property investments).

Having recently spoken with a couple of local sparks my instinct is telling me to jump back in and see if I can make a few quid even if it's just for a couple of years. I'd like to think there's still a bit of an entrepreneurial streak within me and whenever I hear and read of what some sparkys describe as 'problems' I often see them more as 'opportunities' (must be the salesman in me!).

I'd like to hang on to the driving job but drop it to just 1 or 2 days a week (employer ok with that) so I'm wondering should I simply try and tout between 1 and 3 days work per week off a local sparky or is it worth getting myself approved by Elecsa or similar and go it alone in my own local area?

I've been told that getting approved might be as simple as have them watch me change a CU in my own house?

Definitely don't want a full-time sparky job hence I thought the idea of having access to a 'flexi-man' might suit other sparky's who might need help but perhap's can't justify taking on someone full time anyway?

So what does the floor think? Say what you feel like saying I've got fairly thick skin! :bucktooth:

Stick with the driving.

I did what you are suggesting, and unless you have a source of work (builders, kitchen fitters etc), its very sporadic and you get hit with the schemers bill every year. Can't wait until I retire properly. Then I'm gonna get a job sat on a park bench, shouting abuse at the traffic.
:54:

Hello to one and all. Spent most of this morning browsing this forum and thought why not stick my toe into the water and give it a try... I'd really appreciate any constructive feedback from any of the experienced members on here with regards to my current 'predicament'. Thanks in anticipation.

Quick snapshot of my situation - Did traditional electrical apprenticeship back in mid 1970's, qualified up to the old C&G 'C Cert' (later became Part 3) but by mid 1980's had re-trained and moved into Computer Maintenance industry. 22 years at that before jacking it in 2005 to start a residential property business of my own. Along the way I'd jumped back in and got my 17th Edition as had always done majority of my own electrical work (was mainly refurbing/reselling properties).

On the whole, things were generally good but post 2008 economic downturn put a bit of a dent in it all and after plodding along for a while I chucked that in about 3 years ago and went into semi-retirement and since then have just worked 3 days a week in a stress-free driving job that has absolutely nothing to do with electrics, computers or property! (my income is supplemented by property investments).

Having recently spoken with a couple of local sparks my instinct is telling me to jump back in and see if I can make a few quid even if it's just for a couple of years. I'd like to think there's still a bit of an entrepreneurial streak within me and whenever I hear and read of what some sparkys describe as 'problems' I often see them more as 'opportunities' (must be the salesman in me!).

I'd like to hang on to the driving job but drop it to just 1 or 2 days a week (employer ok with that) so I'm wondering should I simply try and tout between 1 and 3 days work per week off a local sparky or is it worth getting myself approved by Elecsa or similar and go it alone in my own local area?

I've been told that getting approved might be as simple as have them watch me change a CU in my own house?

Definitely don't want a full-time sparky job hence I thought the idea of having access to a 'flexi-man' might suit other sparky's who might need help but perhap's can't justify taking on someone full time anyway?

So what does the floor think? Say what you feel like saying I've got fairly thick skin! :bucktooth:

I am retired, do the odd small job, if you can manage to stay retired then my advice is do so, enjoy the forum as I do, I'm sure youe expertise will be appreciated.

It's up to you, this trade has changed very much since you left it, unrecognisable on the domestic front. I am in metering now for one of the big 6, and that is just fine for me. :lol:

If you have the 17th and as you say, have worked to it in domestics, there is still a lot of work you can do without joining a scheme. Plus the schemes only apply to domestic work.

It depends what you want out of it.
Does it have to be domestic work? There is always plenty of agency work around - everyone seems to want a cut of your wages but there's no scheme fees, no responsibility, no pressure, and you can just do a few weeks here and there as you please.

Welcome,and hello. You will probably get a couple of lads,who are doing what you seeking to do...asking if they can have your spare driving days...:rockon2:

If you just want some interest,miss the job,and are not intending to rely on the income it provides,then i would say,why not.

If you have spent a period of time in the refurb job,i would suggest tapping up the contacts you must have made,and NOT hoping to just run an ad,and count the money...

If you are hot on the fault-finding,that may be a better way to ease back in. I do the odd bit,for devilment,more than anything,for a couple of spark pals,who reckon i am "luckier" than themselves...weird really,because the more i learn,the luckier i seem to get...

A scan through the local papers,web ads,and an eye out for liveried up guys,where you are,will give an indication of the opposition,who obviously,have a head start.

Go for it! and very soon,you can come back on here...and whinge your spoons off...:cheesy:

If you can keep it down to 2 or 3 days a week then you will be doing well. That was my "ideal" job after returning to the tools a few years ago. 6 months in and I was working full-time plus evenings full of paperwork. I took on a guy to help with the workload - we are now both full-time!!!! If you are any good, and I'm sure you are, then word will get round and the phone will start ringing. You will have to be very disciplined to turn down that fruity re-wire which needs doing like yesterday and keep yourself down to a part-time role!

If you can keep it down to 2 or 3 days a week then you will be doing well. That was my "ideal" job after returning to the tools a few years ago. 6 months in and I was working full-time plus evenings full of paperwork. I took on a guy to help with the workload - we are now both full-time!!!! If you are any good, and I'm sure you are, then word will get round and the phone will start ringing. You will have to be very disciplined to turn down that fruity re-wire which needs doing like yesterday and keep yourself down to a part-time role!
Sounds like you need to take on another and stand back a bit ha

I heard somewhere that people who have been active most their lives tend to start getting ill when they retire and try to do nothing. Where as the rate of illness for the same age from the same kinda people who carry on with their busy lives do tend to live longer.

I'll try and find the article. Was an interesting read before bed.

Reply to Old Sparky - should I come out of retirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net