Discuss Old wiring practices? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Des 56: haha, very good. Thanks for the advice though, will check it out.

Steve1412: not sure what that was?

pushrod: interesting... Does that mean that for the short term I can protect the spur with two sockets by changing one of them for a fused unit? Thus having the same protection effect as a 13 A fused multi-socket-bar-thingy?
What kind of unit would I be looking for from my local sparks supplies? I'm quite happy replacing electrical equipment at that level... not planning on tackling the CU change out (before anyone starts leaping on me).

telectrix: that's the sort of thing I'm talking about, have used them in the past when living in a flat. However, as was pointed out, probably have 13 A protection themselves anyway.

One more thing if I may chaps. Something else I have come across that I wouldn't have thought a good idea. Some of the cabling appears to be threaded up through the external wall cavity. So far I'm sure the lighting cables, the main ring and two (now unused) storage heater cables have been threaded through to get them from downstairs to upstairs.
The house has rendered brick walls so there is no place to trace cables easily. All this work had to have been carried about by a council contractor.
What are your thoughts on this?

The bit I am amazed about is that the house has recently had the wall ties replaced and cavity wall insulation injected into it. Seems only pure chance that none of the cables have been hit!

Thanks again,

Matt.

A PIR is a must and have a check in the local rag for electricians then check what scheme they are affiliated to also get some references from them if possible also check with the council planning dept or trading standards they might assist

Des 56: haha, very good. Thanks for the advice though, will check it out.

Steve1412: not sure what that was?

pushrod: interesting... Does that mean that for the short term I can protect the spur with two sockets by changing one of them for a fused unit? Thus having the same protection effect as a 13 A fused multi-socket-bar-thingy?
That would be the same as removing one of them
Fit an unswitched fused spur at the source of supply for these sockets and you could even add umpteen more from there if you please
What kind of unit would I be looking for from my local sparks supplies?
An unswitched fused spur with a pattress if its surface or a single metal box if its recessed
I'm quite happy replacing electrical equipment at that level... not planning on tackling the CU change out (before anyone starts leaping on me).
Probably better to do that because the tesing involved is not a usual Diy skill and problems sometimes need sorting out when doing these changes

telectrix: that's the sort of thing I'm talking about, have used them in the past when living in a flat. However, as was pointed out, probably have 13 A protection themselves anyway.

One more thing if I may chaps. Something else I have come across that I wouldn't have thought a good idea. Some of the cabling appears to be threaded up through the external wall cavity. So far I'm sure the lighting cables, the main ring and two (now unused) storage heater cables have been threaded through to get them from downstairs to upstairs.
The house has rendered brick walls so there is no place to trace cables easily. All this work had to have been carried about by a council contractor.
It was the practice of some to run cables through the cavities, but it is not good practice, and can contravene some of the regulations

The bit I am amazed about is that the house has recently had the wall ties replaced and cavity wall insulation injected into it. Seems only pure chance that none of the cables have been hit!
If electricians run cable through insulation,the current carrying capacity of that cable has to be reduced, to allow for the effects of that insulation
Companies going around injecting it into the walls and smoothering the cables in the loft with insulation,rarely take account of the reduced ccc of the cables after they have done their job,yours along with others that they do,will now have reduced ccc
The worst scenario of that,is the same proective device for the higher ccc is still fitted, whilst the cables ccc is reduced, sometimes below what it should carry,overloading could then occur,but this may be unlikely

The folly of running the circuits through the cavity is demonstrated by the actions of the insulation company on the electrical installation
Thanks again,

Matt.

What kind of unit would I be looking for from my local sparks supplies? I'm quite happy replacing electrical equipment at that level... not planning on tackling the CU change out (before anyone starts leaping on me).

Thanks again,

Matt.
If you change one of the double sockets to an FCU LINK then you have just one double socket and you don't need your fcu ! You need to put the FCU where the spur comes from the ring and then you can have any number of sockets afterwards.
If you are serious about getting electrical work done you would be lucky to get someone as experienced and knowledgeable as Des, one of the most respected posters on here, definitely worth a PM (private message) to see if he can do it.
The cavity wall insulation could be seriously compromising the current carrying capacity of the cables and so you need someone who knows what they are talking about (see above).
cheers :)

edit; started replying before Des - just very slow at typing !

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Old wiring practices? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net