Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is testing i just switch on for functional testing, building was empty. Just moi, then power goes off till guy comes and test

Now may be I'm wrong but I always thought that functional testing came after all the obligatory dead and live tests - silly me - that's obviously where I've been wasting time and effort!

As your website was just created on the 15/10/2012 i thought you might need to know that you forgot to put on your new website which form of registration you hold ie niceic approved or domestic installer or both or even elecsa /napit etc,cant see any reference to any so you wouldnt want to pay all that money to a web design expert who has forgotten would you.

Omg none of you can say you never do it jesus

So your telling me you want me to now ring the guy and say, Hi mate well because some ''Ultra Perfect Electricians'' tell me i cannot turn on before testing then im sorry mate but if something dosent work (For example now my 2-way light switch) your going to have to pay me another FULL DAY after your testing man has been.

Cheers mate

JESUS get a life..

You telling me you have never SPEED-ED BEFORE? you cant have passed your test then can you?

Sometimes in life you have to do stuff thats not 100% to the book if we all did everything by the book how long would it take to do things in life...?

As your website was just created on the 15/10/2012 i thought you might need to know that you forgot to put on your new website which form of registration you hold ie niceic approved or domestic installer or both or even elecsa /napit etc,cant see any reference to any so you wouldnt want to pay all that money to a web design expert who has forgotten would you.
ummmmm

Didnt pay no money i made it

glad you thought it was so professional that a web design team had made it NICE ;)

None of us make the rules.so what about the EWR 1989 an HASAWA 1974,the testing procedure is there for a reason to protect the end user,installer and anyone else involved,this is non negotiable as far as im concerned,now if a gas installer fitted a heating system and didnt do a gas leak test before switch on and blew the street up what would happen,people going to court thats what,you are the installer you should be telling him the procedure and not the other way around.

Yeh maybe so BUT same with speeding, same with doing stuff not to the book all the time.. Like it matters!

people have sped, same thing there if they ran someone over they would go to court.. BUT YOU STILL DO IT

Like ive said before if you do everything by the book nothing will ever get done.. Do you wear goggles every time you drill.. Do you wear steel toe cap boots every day for work, do you drill and tie in your ladder to the wall when doing high works or get someone to foot it..... DO you check your drill EVERY DAY before you start work.. Do you check your VAN for safety every day before you work

and the list goes on.

End of day power on no one in house i know ive wired t good i do a tug test on every connection i do so as far as i see it theres nothing wrong with it.. If i did make a mistake and made a switch live woopy doo im the one who gets the shock

End of bored of your ignorance

Man your starting to REALLY BORE ME

Im in business with a mate, he has the NICEIC end of

It is against the law to use a LOGO without permission even if you pay for there service.. Reason NICEIC logo is not on my site is that reason exactly i have an email currently sent to NICEIC asking for permission, i also have one to C&G etc etc..

OH do you not email before you use logos on ur site and van.. Tut tut mr i do everything by the book has not done something by the book? Tut Tut

can't be bothered to read all the posts so you may of solved this before anyways! i would look at getting rid of all switches incorperate chock blocks or wagos upstairs and down if doesn't work check wirring dead resistance check make sure cable in switch is going back to light and not via distribution board via another circuit.

Yeh maybe so BUT same with speeding, same with doing stuff not to the book all the time.. Like it matters!

people have sped, same thing there if they ran someone over they would go to court.. BUT YOU STILL DO IT

Like ive said before if you do everything by the book nothing will ever get done.. Do you wear goggles every time you drill.. Do you wear steel toe cap boots every day for work, do you drill and tie in your ladder to the wall when doing high works or get someone to foot it..... DO you check your drill EVERY DAY before you start work.. Do you check your VAN for safety every day before you work

and the list goes on.

End of day power on no one in house i know ive wired t good i do a tug test on every connection i do so as far as i see it theres nothing wrong with it.. If i did make a mistake and made a switch live woopy doo im the one who gets the shock

How exactly to you manage to come to the fact that i am ignorant?,you are being offered constructive advice by many members on the forum and are using some quite awful replies to people that have made an effort,but your replies have been shut up retard etc,the ignorance would in my opinion lie with you sir,good evening !!

and the list goes on.

WOW Frighteningly honest in-site into £££££ before your own safety...........what can i add?? ........just hope your right and the Tug Test keeps you safe fella :-/

tell you one thing i wouldn't be doing if i had failed to diagnose a simple fault, crying about it like you are. i hope loads of your customers and potential customers find this post!

we are here to help guys remember? i have not dealt with the new fangled led light yet.if this was just About 2 way switching then i think he would of solved it by now.

saying that i have always been brought up on logic and therefore use it as much as possible,look at total problem then diagnose every possibility never mind how remote and tick off each.i was caught out the other day switch not working checked continuity from light switch to light,fine tried to conect new switch failure spent ages trying to work it out,my only solution was that the live into swich was from radial light circuit not going dirctly to switch, iam still trying to work out the settup?

Surly an R1 + R2 dead test would ensure thats its wired correctly. Providing the switches are correctly connected then polarity should be made and broken by each switch whilst testing at every light fitting regardless of what type it is. this should determine your fault. This should determine your fault, I find it bazzare that as its a new build you are trying finding your fault by energising the sytem.

i don't need advice though as i have quoted via my plasterer that i just feed from light fitting to new switch,the only problem i can see is my plasterer will probably do it himself .he has called me out 3 times this month to resolve cr&%p, next time he rings i want call out fee,he is a family member slightly

This forum goes from strength to strength 5 pages for a probably faulty light switch that could have been solved by a bit of testing.

With the number of faulty switches I've had recently it's an achievement to complete a job without at least one faulty switch

just had time andto read this blog if thats what you call it? i am worrying if members like he is should have pub status as not only he has proved that he can't solve simple solutions,as well as showing disregard of testing regulations and have any common manners to well established members.i may be at fault of the knowledge fact in the future but i am willing to learn,this seems lacking off op ?

- - - Updated - - -

just had time andto read this blog if thats what you call it? i am worrying if members like he is should have pub status as not only he has proved that he can't solve simple solutions,as well as showing disregard of testing regulations and have any common manners to well established members.i may be at fault of the knowledge fact in the future but i am willing to learn,this seems lacking off op ?

What did electricians do before the internet was around?

They used one these!!!!

Fluke 115.png

Insane

Your telling us we are thick yet you dont have the intelligence to rectify a simple fault

Ive read your previous posts and threads and it becomes clear how incompetant you really are no matter how much of a master spark you think you are

Seriously get back to school or let a time served competant spark have a look at it, im sorry but if you cant test your own work you shouldnt be installing it.

Did you expect a member to say

" hey axel i had this once before and it turned out to be a ghost turning it on and off downstairs. Had to get the preist round to exorcise"

Take the advice from others, call a ELECTRICIAN

Interesting read this thread....and sadly an increasingly common scenario on this forum...simple problems which professional electricians...(4 apparently!)....are unable to sort.

Regardless of all the shee-it.......Axel,it would be interesting to hear the outcome of this.....did you need to call Ghostbusters in the end?...or was it a faulty switch?......dont keep us in suspenders mate.

I thought I'd add a little, again.....

End tests can be split into three sections for new build

1/ Dead testing - as you go, nice theory but very rarely gets done due to time constraints and cost of labour, as been demonstrated here

2/ Live testing - performed at the end, but sometimes gets done without dead testing

3/ Commissioning tests after the supply has been energized to check that all the switchgear, timers, sensors and accessories are functioning correctly

I can see that its possible to dead test circuits and come out with a clear sheet only to find that when commissioning the installation that some of the accessories fail to operate as they should.

No excuse for not following proper procedures, they are there for good reason , but, as said, many sparks don't follow the rules because its not financially expedient...

What did electricians do before the internet was around?

They used one these!!!!

View attachment 15605

And did a 5 year apprenticeship, can't understand that as the job gets more complicated it becomes easier to get ""Qualified""

The over dramatised title to this thread makes it sound like a brain stumping fault when the reality appears very different exactly how faulty can a two way circuit get

No excuse for not following proper procedures, they are there for good reason , but, as said, many sparks don't follow the rules because its not financially expedient...

To day following the rules is becoming a must what is not financially expedient now when it is installed may be if you subsequently end up in court explaining why somebody was hurt and you admit to not carrying out a fundamental process in the energising of an installation

I can only assume that the OP having carried out functional testing physically locks the installation off to prevent anybody other than the tester from turning it on

Litigation is one of those things that is in the back of the mind everyday or should I say the consequences if it ends up in court with a guilty verdict against you

To day following the rules is becoming a must what is not financially expedient now when it is installed may be if you subsequently end up in court explaining why somebody was hurt and you admit to not carrying out a fundamental process in the energising of an installation

I can only assume that the OP having carried out functional testing physically locks the installation off to prevent anybody other than the tester from turning it on

Litigation is one of those things that is in the back of the mind everyday or should I say the consequences if it ends up in court with a guilty verdict against you

Just stating what happens in real life.

99.9% of short cuts don't get picked up because all appears to work well. But, as we know, as the available power increases, the danger increases. So changing a switch in a domestic environment is not going to impact on the safety of a basic sparks, unless he/she are complete numpties.

The rules are there, legislation through EAWR1989 and HASAWA 1974 are there to enforce poor procedures. If people choose to ignore basic safety procedures then its goodnight to the sparks either through electrocution, burns, litigation. and might cause danger to the client...

Dear oh dear...

Surely Axel, having spent a fair amount of time on here and being an Arms member, would have realised he'd be given a very hard time for some of the things he's said.

I don't think I'd have had the balls to come on here and post about problems with two way lighting (I think I'd have registered a new account and pretended to be a DIYer!)

There are just some things that we're all guilty off, but being guilty of it is one thing, telling everyone about it is just silly! The MCB fairy has a habit of occasionally energising circuits, just as the DNO seal fairy sometimes appears when backs are turned and pulls fuses out...

Holy Crapping hell. POT KETTLE BLACK!

I have just read your thread on the possible rewire of a Hotel and asking what you need to RCD and where security lights are required.

You have the cheek to say this guy needs an electrician...
yeah ive been on that post but its shut now..lol night

Shame there is no update, given the amount of useful replies you would have thought that that would be the least he could do - or maybe he'll never update us and just load a new question and move on.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the new regs with the second amendment..

No hahaha, but I have several 17th edition regs books here which are out of date, the Opening poster can have one if he wants it, I ve never looked at them, everytime I buy one some prat in london in a suit decides to bring another edition out, I still have my 15th somewhere, that has a second amendment, who decides what colour to make the front cover, :biggrin5:

- - - Updated - - -

Shame there is no update, given the amount of useful replies you would have thought that that would be the least he could do - or maybe he'll never update us and just load a new question and move on.

He's still working on the 2 way switching problem he encountered a day or two back I suspect.

It's not going to be easy trying to find a fault especially when you know you've connected it all 100% correctly, and gone the extra mile by taking a bit extra time to carry out a Tug Test too.....can't wait to find out what it turns out to be

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net