Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not trying to jump onto the wrong neutral are you?

as said above draw it out, it helps loads

But seriously, its a 2 way lighting circuit, im highly surprised that 3 sparks have had a look and not sussed it out by now, well actually not that surprised if they are anything like some of the members we get on here

Good luck with it, if you get stuck im sure theres plenty of decent sparks locally

Just re-read your original post

Why are you wiring the live out into L2?

when wired at the switch, live in and live out in a connector, a fly lead from the connector into L1 along with black, then the switch line( one that go's to LEDs in L2 along with grey

I dont get what people are saying here i have 2 switches WIRED EXACTLY THE SAME RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER how hard is that to understand o_O ONE WORKS FINE the other dosent work.. THEY ARE WIRED CORRECT im not thick! Ive also tried wiring it the other method as if it was wired in singles.. Thats same didnt work..

But vernam... dunno if u ment it to sound like you did but your basically saying were not 'Decent Sparks'

Well these not 'Decent Sparks' that we are wire Mansion New builds, all audio systems, alarm systems technical ****.. also do full tesco new builds etc SO i think a 2-way lighting is on the EXTREMELY EASY TO WIRE section of what we do!

Hi Axel.

As Vernam has pointed out, when you talk about 'live in - live out' in your OP I find the terminology confusing, can you confirm that you have 2 lives and 2 switch lives to each switch? or are you looping 1 live to both switches - if so the live should be looped from L1 on one switch to L1 on the next switch, and your switch lives go in L2.

I dont get what people are saying here i have 2 switches WIRED EXACTLY THE SAME RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER how hard is that to understand o_O ONE WORKS FINE the other dosent work.. THEY ARE WIRED CORRECT im not thick! Ive also tried wiring it the other method as if it was wired in singles.. Thats same didnt work..

But vernam... dunno if u ment it to sound like you did but your basically saying were not 'Decent Sparks'

Well these not 'Decent Sparks' that we are wire Mansion New builds, all audio systems, alarm systems technical ****.. also do full tesco new builds etc SO i think a 2-way lighting is on the EXTREMELY EASY TO WIRE section of what we do!

We are trying to help you, if you have wired and connected it right, it would be working wouldn't it?

Yeh JESUS man im gonna stop bothering I KNOW HOW TO WIRE A FRIKIN SWITCH JESUS CRIST WHATS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND... soz but your all talking to me like im thick!.. Yes i have one brown cable that comes in from the mainsboard to the switch it then leaves to the next switch yes these are in L1 and a link over to the other switch OBVIOUSLY

Everyone needs to stop worrying about the simple stuff IM NOT A RETARD and have checked all the simple OBVIOUS stuff

Yes the switch is wired right
Yes the lights are working
Yes the cables are fine

Who knows its just bizzare

axel, calm down, we are not there and we are trying to find out what you see, connected etc, there is no magic fix

As i see you are a Arms member you must be a sparkie (according to the site admin/owner) so dont get irate and things will get sorted :)

Personal opinion.......Stuff what i posted above, i looked at your web site in your forum signature, if you are that good then how can you not fix such a small issue

You remind me of a local firm that are big on marketing and very poor on the staff that they employ

2way lighting is 1st year apprentice install

Last edited by a moderator:
well you have confirmed all wiring is correct, you have confirmed it is exactly the same as the adjacent switch and everything is correct, so it must be a faulty light switch then must'n it?unless you have missed out any other info which could help us work it out, it's a 2 way switch and as ashrow above mentioned calm down, if all wiring is right and all cables confirmed not to be broken via continuity tests then it must be the switch, just buy another and there you go.

possible causes IMO with the information presented here

1/ continuity on the failed 2-way switch line - could be a cut cable

2/ Failed switch on a 2-way lighting circuit - had one of those on Tuesday

3/ Live feed from switch-line 1 L1/L2 not connected to switch-line 2 L1/L2

4/ Only one switch line down to 2-ganged switch

5/ second switch line not connected up at 2nd rose or JB

I assume that the conversion method is use? If not then there are a few more possibilities

Yah gonna do that tomoz, was just making sure that there isnt some weird thing going on like something you wouldnt expect and someone has had the same before i go back tomoz and change it for it still to not work ha

Yah gonna do that tomoz, was just making sure that there isnt some weird thing going on like something you wouldnt expect and someone has had the same before i go back tomoz and change it for it still to not work ha

The paranormal switch theory is beginning to sound good, think it has distinct possibilities, don't know much about them personally, must have had that day off at college, mind you, it was a long time ago. Lol

possible causes IMO with the information presented here

1/ continuity on the failed 2-way switch line - could be a cut cable

2/ Failed switch on a 2-way lighting circuit - had one of those on Tuesday

3/ Live feed from switch-line 1 L1/L2 not connected to switch-line 2 L1/L2

4/ Only one switch line down to 2-ganged switch

5/ second switch line not connected up at 2nd rose or JB

I assume that the conversion method is use? If not then there are a few more possibilities

From what I have read, only 2 remains a possibility. He has linked out the live and switched live to confirm that the lights come on, so it is a switching problem.

If youve checked continuity and IR'd the strappers and twin and earths down to the switches and theyre fine, then the switches must be faulty. Have you checked for voltage at the LED lights when they appear not to work? Just incase its a neutral issue or something, cant see it being this if theyve been working in the other side of the 2 gang switch!
You will have probs already done this, but have you checked the other 2 way switch that controls these lights?

When all the other possibilities have been discounted, whatever remains - however unlikely - has to be the answer.

You have one light(set), 2 switches, 2 cables and one supply. The options for point of failure are limited.

This is true! ha i was just stood there thinking all the possibilites and id used them all.. And was like surely! WHAT THE HELL anyways must be the switch so shall change it =] gracias all

From what I have read, only 2 remains a possibility. He has linked out the live and switched live to confirm that the lights come on, so it is a switching problem.

It looks as though you maybe right. However, its quite common to have a poor connection in a wago or other JB where the conductors test out ok when disconnected and remain disconnected / not making contact when connected. The newer cheaper connector blocks give that impression. Although a dodgy batch of switches appear to be the most likely cause...

Wiring mansions? and your on here asking why your 2 way switch isnt working?

I wouldnt let you wire a plug let alone a mansion

FFS what are you expecting us to say " oh maybe its a ghost "

There is an explanation a very simple one infact...... You arnt competant enough, like said above its one of the first things you learn, and had you tested the cabling out correctly im 100% sure the fault would show

Everyday i read stupid s**t like this on here from people who actually call themselves electricians and charge people for the privellege

With out being to rude, if i could not wire a switch then i certainly would not post it in a forum where loads of electricians hang out. Yes even us electricians have tech issues but a switch is not one of them :p

Ashrow why do you say " Without being too rude"?

He has been rude most of the way through it and deserves all the roasting he gets.
Ialso happened to notice some of his previous posts on wiring basic things, do these mansion owners know who they have let in?

Own up pal before you endanger someones life

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net