Discuss Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FLNewbie

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon! As I said in the title, I'm not trying to DIY anything, just trying to understand what was done by the electrician.
According to our 4pt inspection, we had a 100amp main panel(outside with the meter can) and 100amp Challenger subpanel in the garage. We had to change the Challenger per insurance requirements, so we decided to upgrade service to 200amps. Attached are pics of the panels after it was changed. Please bare with me, I'm not familiar with how this all works.
1. The "main" breaker in the outside main panel was reused. Since we upgraded to 200amp service, should that have been changed to a 200amp breaker?
2. They installed a 125amp max subpanel in the garage to replace the old Challenger panel. Is that the correct size or could it have been a 200amp subpanel?
3. The wires in that subpanel seem messier than what I've seen in other panels, is that how it's supposed to look?
4. Is there anything else in there we should be concerned about?

I apologize if the questions sound dumb, this all a little confusing to me. Just wanting to make sure they did what we paid for, and that it's done correctly. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated. I have a couple before pics if needed. Thank you

Attachments

• Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) New panel - EletriciansForums.net
    New panel.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) New Outside Panel - EletriciansForums.net
    New Outside Panel.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 23
Not sure how they generally do things in the US, but that writing with a sharpie looks abysmal.

Megawatt, our American member, will be along shortly with some advice.

Although uk and us have different electrical codes to adhere to,
I think that some pride in your work should be an international standard that all electricians should manage.

It Just looks cheep, old and lazy, not what you should get from a new install.

Good afternoon! As I said in the title, I'm not trying to DIY anything, just trying to understand what was done by the electrician.
According to our 4pt inspection, we had a 100amp main panel(outside with the meter can) and 100amp Challenger subpanel in the garage. We had to change the Challenger per insurance requirements, so we decided to upgrade service to 200amps. Attached are pics of the panels after it was changed. Please bare with me, I'm not familiar with how this all works.
1. The "main" breaker in the outside main panel was reused. Since we upgraded to 200amp service, should that have been changed to a 200amp breaker?
2. They installed a 125amp max subpanel in the garage to replace the old Challenger panel. Is that the correct size or could it have been a 200amp subpanel?
3. The wires in that subpanel seem messier than what I've seen in other panels, is that how it's supposed to look?

I apologize if the questions sound dumb, this all a little confusing to me. Just wanting to make sure they did what we paid for, and that it's done correctly. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated. I have a couple before pics if needed. Thank you
My friend question number 1 is yes it should be a 200 amp main. Question number 2 is yes it could have been 200 amp but a 125 amp sub panel is normal. Question number 3 is yes that panel looks crap and poor workman ship. The electrician had no pride in his work. Question number 4 is no I really don’t see a need to be concerned about. We hope this was what you were looking for.

I also have to agree with @DPG on the writing in the panel, it should have been labeled not scratched with sharpie. Again poor workman ship and no pride in their work

Can be done like this:

Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

But no matter how much care, it's still like putting lipstick on a pig....

IMHO

Reply to Panel Upgrade Questions(Not looking to DIY, just looking for an explanation on how it works) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock