Discuss Part F Certification. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shaun gold

we have been asked to provide part f certification for the mechanical fans we have fitted in a new build that has recently finished.
is it down to the sparks and where would i get these certificates from.

thanks.

Part F? whats next ?

"Hello grantr37",

As You will know `Part F` of the Building Regulations is about Ventilation and any person installing Mechanical Ventilation must now [since 2007 ?] be a Member of a Competent Persons Scheme - having taken Training and Assessment for Part F - and carry out all Ventilation Works in the correct manner - abiding with Manufacturers Instructions and the Building Regulations in order to Comply with the Building Regulations `Part F` - and also `Part P`.

Obviously there is the Electrical Component of installing Mechanical Ventilation / Fans and I am fairly sure that an additional requirement of the `Part F` Competent Persons Scheme must include the fact that the person is Electrically Qualified and also registered with an Electrical Competent Persons Scheme.

There are also requirements that all Mechanical Ventilation complies with / does not negate Energy Efficiency measures as laid down in `Part L` of the Building Regulations - obviously it would NOT be a good thing if the Ventilation was removing Heat from the Home / Building quicker than it could be `Efficiently Produced`.

These are the requirements for `Legally` installing a Bathroom or Kitchen FAN ! - and all other Mechanical Ventilation equipment.

So Gentlemen - Are You all registered with a Competent Persons Scheme for both Part P AND Part F ?

I have written this for `Information purposes only` - it is NOT My opinion of what You should be doing or who You should be Registered with.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO ANNOY MEMBERS - IT IS JUST TO SHOW WHAT THE `LEGAL` SITUATION IS - OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE CAN INSTALL FANS ETC WITHOUT BEING REGISTERED WITH A COMPETENT PERSONS SCHEME - BUT THEN ALL FANS WOULD BE A NOTIFIABLE ITEM - UNDER `PART F` OF THE BUILDING REGULATIONS - AND THEN THEORETICALLY REQUIRE INSPECTION - BUILDING REGULATION CERTIFICATION AND A PAYMENT FOR THAT TO THE LABC.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:

"Hello shaun",

Sorry that it is not `good news` in your situation - having been asked for the Part F Certification.

Usually You would Notify the necessary Competent Persons Scheme for Ventilation - who would in turn notify the LABC that your installations are Building Regulations Compliant.

I should also mention that there are stricter regulations for Fans etc. in New Builds - I suggest that You definitely read the Ventilation Compliance Guide.

I think that in New Builds where there has to be a certain `Air Tightness` specification that the Fan rates [Air Extract / Intake] are usually either calculated by a `Professional` so that they comply or are of an adjustable [Air] type which have to be `Commissioned` and Tested to adhere to the specified Air Rates.

This is to prove that the Air Rates are in accordance with `Part F` AND `Part L` and the design of the Building regarding Energy Efficiency.

Also I believe that New Builds have an `Air Tightness` Rating and that this is definitely Tested by closing up the Building and carrying out an `Air Performance Test` - this involves the Building actually being put under a slight pressure from a large Intake Fan - the Air Loss is measured.

IF something like some incorrect Fans were installed there could be excessive Air Loss attributed to those.

I am obviously NOT implying that You have done anything like that.

I don`t think that there is any way out of this requirement for `Part F` Compliance / Certification - unless You can get the Fans Inspected by the Local Authority Building Control - Passed and a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate issued by them ?

They might state that if the Fan Installations were not going to be carried out by a person who was registered with a Ventilation Competent Persons Scheme that the LABC should have been informed via an application for the Works - and the necessary `Fees` paid etc. ?

There will obviously be a way to have the works LABC Certified but it just depends on how awkward [or otherwise] they want to be.

Good Luck in sorting this out shaun.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Part F Certification. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net