Discuss Part P training . It must be stopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If they where indeed Electricians would that be applied to the title? Domestic Electrician
I'm afraid the title of Electrician has changed, we have Domestic Installer, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, and now Solar Electricians, I suppose the later ones did their training with Scotty on the Starship Enterprise.?

Gary. What are the exact details of what you are petitioning parliament for? The link just takes me to a sign in section. I’d like to see the petition details first. :)

I think that the scope of what Part P trained domestic installers are allowed to do needs clarifying and probably restricting but, as the BYB only requires a person be competent, ambiguity is built into the system.

For example if, as a DI, your work involves carrying out the same, even complex, task on every job then the training provided by Part P courses can prove sufficient to do the job safely and compliantly.

However if your job requires you to carry out many, even simple, tasks then it is almost impossible for the short courses to provide sufficient knowledge and experience.

In the first instance I would argue you can comfortably demonstrate your competence and in doing so satisfy the requirements of the BYB but in the second you would be very hard pushed to do so.

Rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water I'd say the system need clarification and tightening of the scope.

Don't put yourself down mate, we all like speak our mind sometimes, trouble is I can go far to far and get myself in the Mire, not often but sometimes.

Was just having a laugh mate. I'm fantastic really..... That's why everyone loves me... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I'm afraid the title of Electrician has changed, we have Domestic Installer, Domestic, Commercial, Industrial, and now Solar Electricians, I suppose the later ones did their training with Scotty on the Starship Enterprise.?

Well said mate.
I'd rather get trained on Starship Voyager.. 'Seven of Nine' can teach me any day....

Gary. What are the exact details of what you are petitioning parliament for? The link just takes me to a sign in section. I’d like to see the petition details first. :)

It's is regarding the training involved with part p. Specifically the really short 6 day delivery . I will show I hope when over 5 sign . If not I will repost it when the petition goes live

When they stopped handing out apprenticeships like there was no tomorrow, things have had to change. I don't see a problem with someone going on a domestic installers course, if there's such a thing, just to install stuff in kitchens & bathrooms. In an idea world, we would like to back to the days of the 1970's, when you could walk into any company and get an apprenticeship for free. That's no longer the case, and training has to be reflective in that.

If we can no longer afford aircraft carriers a plenty, then apprenticeships are going to be scarce.

I don't quite understand what your agenda is however your posit that Part P must be stopped is nonsense. No one gets to go onto a competent scheme register with Part P. That is a one day course on building regulations that essentially says if you drill a hole stop it up with either/and/or fireproof/soundproof/weather proof gump.
To be frank wiring a house is not rocket science. Wiring a house to craftsman level takes some years of experience which no course can teach you except the university of life. The science is acknowledged as "basic science" which it is. Are you from some course that wants to do away with the opposition, what is your beef with it all?

I don't quite understand what your agenda is however your posit that Part P must be stopped is nonsense. No one gets to go onto a competent scheme register with Part P. That is a one day course on building regulations that essentially says if you drill a hole stop it up with either/and/or fireproof/soundproof/weather proof gump.
To be frank wiring a house is not rocket science. Wiring a house to craftsman level takes some years of experience which no course can teach you except the university of life. The science is acknowledged as "basic science" which it is. Are you from some course that wants to do away with the opposition, what is your beef with it all?

Your telling me 23days is sufficient to be able to sign off there own work in a domestic premises ?

Domestic Electrical Installer TS4U-25: Silver - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-electrician-installer-ts4u25

The "gravy" train left the station a long time ago and nothing will stop it now.

The problem, as I see it, isn't Part P .................its the total absence of anyone or anybody actually doing anything to uphold standards AND holding people accountable for dodgy work ........... whether it be electrics or any other trade...

Are you sure you are quoting the right person? How did you divine I said that to you? I am not telling you anything I asked you a question or two. Try re-reading what you just quoted.

NICEIC actually does have a certified scheme for someone with these qualifications . Theoretically you can do 23 days total training then set up your own company doing work in people's houses on your own. Any electrician should find this desturbing that people's houses where there family sleep could have potentially been wired and certified by someone who didn't have a clue less than a month ago.

I personally think it's wrong and anyone who works on electrical installations should as I said have sufficient knowledge as to prevent risk. Admitidly domestic is not rocket science but the slightest mistake can have drastic consiquences .

Electricians are paid for what they know not what they do

You still have not answered my question. I often cite the 18 year old who has finished a three year course and does not have a clue how to even wire up a socket properly. Courses do not an electrician make! Experience allied with the knowledge gleaned on courses make an electrician. Experience being the key to a good rounded electrician. Courses can only teach so much. For instance on testing and inspection and commissioning; You can learn text book testing pass your practical and go out into the real world. You may get for instance on an RFC test 0.5 0/0.5 r1 rn then 5 ohms on r2. What are you to make of this??? A course will not teach this, anomalous results are the acid test of an electrician and how it is dealt with and understood. Getting rid of Part P will in no way even begin to deal with this aspect of training. What the answer is I don't know and I am sure the person who thinks of it will be rich.

What does the C & G 2393-10 teach you?
After a day you become a "Part P Installer" da da that is after they have spent a day telling you something you should know already, after spending £180 of your hard earned, so you get there at 08:30 chat till 10:00 10:30 TILL 13:00 Lunch till 14:00 till 15:30 for tea finish say at 17:00, money for old rope in my book.

The petition should be against the schemes (niceic, napit, stroma) for giving accreditation for the title 'domestic installer' and in doing so creating a market for short courses from various training providers (who are no doubt linked to the schemes themselves!).
Ultimately nothing will change, until we electricians stop paying the annual fee's to the schemes.

I think the petitions era has passed,nobody will give two monkeys about any petition,if a select committee can be ignored and dismissed with ease,what chance a petition

Now,my wish list :)

Abolish that part P registered nonsense :fist:,no more worries about the Part P qualified this and that

Open up all domestic installation work unrestricted to whoever believes they can do that work
(It does not really require a full blown electrician to work on domestic wiring,a decent head and pair of hands and its well within most peoples capability)

The government could make compulsory an inspection report for all new build and house sales like they were intending :clapping:

We could campaign to get a register of electricians who can do these reports,possibly on behalf of a Government agency which has set fees for these inspections

Heres to dreaming I suppose :)

Reply to Part P training . It must be stopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net