Discuss Pct heater to plug ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Martiv

DIY
Reaction score
Heya I have a pct heating element for an egg incubator it’s 220v 80 w
atm it’s wired to the old circuit but mid incubation all the digi display started flickering and now I can’t read the numbers

I baught an external plug in thermostatic controller for lizards you plug a uk plug into and it controlls the heating

however I just want to make sure I am safe to wire this directly to a plug with a 3a fuse
or if I need some kind of protection regulator Between the element and plug ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermostat-Electric-Constant-Temperature-Heating/dp/B07DWVM8JL

As above, it needs an earth connection and a thermostat, unless you want cooked eggs as the 80C self-regulating temperature is hotter than most chickens!

As above, it needs an earth connection and a thermostat, unless you want cooked eggs as the 80C self-regulating temperature is hotter than most chickens!
I did say I have a thermostatic temp controller for blizzard tanks and incubator
But it requires I plug in a heating element that is uk plugged

So it is controlled it’s set to 37 but unless I put the pct heating element on a plug I can’t plug it into my thermostat

as you can see the numbers are strewed flickering so I want to remove the working element and make it able to plug into my external controller seen on the bench with a plug socket on it

the temp is 39 and needs to be 37 but as I have eggs in I can’t turn off the current incubator flickering controller and I can’t alter the pre settings to reduce temp someone pressed reset and it sets to 38 I had to dial it down to 37 but since flickering started and someone pressed reset I no longer can edit the settings as I’ve no clue what they are

this external controller is the real deal but it needs the element to be on a plug instead of directly into the broken controller board which costs a fortune to replace when this controller does the same thing and I have it already

Attachments

• image.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So your thermostat has a 13 A UK socket where you want to plug in your element? How do you earth the element then as it only has 2 wires ? Which I do not think is double insulated, Are there any labels with a square within a square symbol? Is the incubator casing metal at all?
Sorry , just seen your photos.

So your thermostat has a 13 A UK socket where you want to plug in your element? How do you earth the element then as it only has 2 wires ? Which I do not think is double insulated, Are there any labels with a square within a square symbol? Is the incubator casing metal at all?
Sorry , just seen your photos.
Right so I guess they will earth normally through the circuit
so can’t be run independantly there is so many YouTubers hooking them up like leds and just powering them but I was wondering how there regulated bless that’s done within the u it’s itself I think I’m understanding

but earth is there a way to earth it ? Or do I find another heating way

looking online again they all seem to be just wiring them up lol I’m confused how they do that if you say they can’t ?

lol how could I power it do I need a driver ?

Last edited:
It is not possible to earth the casing with only 2 wires. If the element leaks current to the casing & is not protected then it may become live to the touch. Proof that the element is double insulated or purchase another unit may be a 12v with a 230v/12v transformer.

Last edited:
It is not possible to earth the casing with only 2 wires. If the element leaks current to the casing & is not protected then it may become live to the touch. Proof that the element is double insulated or purchase another unit may be a 12v with a 230v/12v transformer.
There only 12v 2-5 watt can’t I hook them up to a mobile charger
they only have 2 wires how can fans etc only have 2 wires and no earth ?

Used to hook fans up to mobile chargers
Specification:

About this item​

• Rugged and durable - PTC heating element is environmentally friendly and durable in an aluminum alloy case.
  • Safe and reliable - The surface is insulated, safe to use, and can dry for a long time.
  • Durable - High-temperature wire is used as a lead to heat solids and gases.
  • Simple structure - easy to install and has a service life of more than 3 years.
  • Widely applicable - suitable for curling irons, kettles, yogurt machines, chocolate extruders, coffee machines.

Description​

Feature:

Rugged and durable - PTC heating element is environmentally friendly and durable in an aluminum alloy case.
Safe and reliable - The surface is insulated, safe to use, and can dry for a long time.
Durable - High-temperature wire is used as a lead to heat solids and gases.
Simple structure - easy to install and has a service life of more than 3 years.
Widely applicable - suitable for curling irons, kettles, yogurt machines, chocolate extruders, coffee machines.

Specification:

Condition: 100% Brand New
Shell Material: Aluminum
Power: (optional)
80℃:2W-5W
110℃:3W-10W
220℃:5W-28W
Voltage: AC/DC 12V
Surface Dry Heating Temperature: 80℃, 110℃, 220℃(optional) ±10℃
Leading Wire Length: Approx. 15cm / 5.9inch
Product Size: Approx. 35 * 21 * 5mm / 1.4 * 0.8 * 0.2inch
Product Weight: Approx. 14g~15g

and a

Last edited:
What does that mean ?
it’s the same element as before with 2 wires.
can you elaborate on the earthing and how this one is earthed ? Or is it due to the low wattage it doesn’t need earth

it wil like the other be attached to a plastic incubator
Yes correct low voltage/ watts. Is the size large enough?

Last edited:
What does that mean ?
it’s the same element as before with 2 wires.
can you elaborate on the earthing and how this one is earthed ? Or is it due to the low wattage it doesn’t need earth

it wil like the other be attached to a plastic incubator
Your first post was a 50 Watt so the 12v 5w may not be hot enough, going by surface area.

The 230V element is a component, not a complete retail electrical product. I can imagine people use just the bare element but this is not the intention.

It is supposed to be built into an appliance or housing where the manufacturer makes sure it is earthed, that the single-insulated leads can't be touched or pulled out, etc. If you want to build it into the incubator, it's up to you to ensure these safety provisions are met by design. I would expect to see it mounted onto some kind of heatsink or radiator, with its wires and a chassis earth connected to a terminal block. A power cable would be securely attached to the housing and a guard fitted over the element and terminal block.

Reply to Pct heater to plug ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net