Discuss I have electric panel heaters, and I want a thermostat with wifi app control. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Glen0cide

DIY
Reaction score
So as the title says, I have 3 panel heaters in my flat, but only one really needs the fine control i'm after, the other two rarely go on even in dead winter as i'm stingy and my flat is small.

The heaters are mains connected (no plug sockets) so i'm looking for something that ideally will go inline, and can be controlled remotely from an app, even away from home. I'm also on a tight budget, my landlord will pay an electrician to install it but not for the unit itself.

I don't really even need a display, just something that will turn the heater on and off depending on the temp, and allow me to set timers and also turn it on away from home. I have a sonoff switch which allowed me to turn things on and off away from home, but it doesn't have a thermostat element.

I don't know what the amp rating of my panel heaters are, if that matters? I've checked the sticker on the side it doesn't say, just 1000W.

I am ideally looking for advise on what type of product to get, rather than a specific one. I am hoping to get something used on ebay so I need to be open to a range rather than waiting for one specific thing. I have a budget of say £30, which I imagine is only enough to buy used.

Help much appreciated.

I presume you have a Switched Fused Connection Unit next to each heater?

If so then its a simple like for like swap for something like this

However I would be VERY wary about buying used or new electrical items like this off Ebay, there are lots of cheap knock offs and some can be dangerous especially when used with high load items such as heaters

The electrician who comes to fit it might not even go near it if it is used or a cheap knock off or not CE marked

I presume you have a Switched Fused Connection Unit next to each heater?

If so then its a simple like for like swap for something like this

However I would be VERY wary about buying used or new electrical items like this off Ebay, there are lots of cheap knock offs and some can be dangerous especially when used with high load items such as heaters

The electrician who comes to fit it might not even go near it if it is used or a cheap knock off or not CE marked
This looks great! Yes I do have a fused box which could be swapped for this. Only thing missing now is a thermostat element, I would ideally want a timer too, but I assume that the app controlling the wifi switch on the unit you suggested would likely have a timer function.

Would pairing this with a basic thermostat be a practical and budget option?

I hear you about the knock off stuff, my plan is to buy a good brand, but open box or used.

A wifi thermostat for panel or underfloor heating will do what you want, but you need to get one with a suitable current rating. Many of the ufh ones are rated at 16A - the fact they're advertised for ufh does not preclude using one for a panel heater! Eg:
Sorry I've just realised the above is not wifi - there are some about but a bit more money - this example is only 5A so for only a 1kW heater:

Reply to I have electric panel heaters, and I want a thermostat with wifi app control. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net