Discuss PE from metal back box to socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have things changed and I missed the memo.
Let's start by saying I'm a fossil. I was trained the old way, were u went with a mate and went to night school and day release. Anyway, was on a domestic fault for a mate of a mate. I rocked up, kitchen ring tripping. Asked any recent works, holes drilled etc, non was the reply ( which was a fib, but no matter). Took both legs out of the board, circuit breaker tests ok, ring has 48k short. Went to split the ring mid point and noticed no earth strap from the box to the socket ( in my day this was mandatory). Found fault, someone had fitted an outside socket, full of water. Anyway back to the internal metal back box. The ring was in a new extension, one year old. So I advised them to get the sparks back to fix it. A few days later, customer rang me and said the sparks said it's not a requirement anymore. My question..since when

Have things changed and I missed the memo.
Let's start by saying I'm a fossil. I was trained the old way, were u went with a mate and went to night school and day release. Anyway, was on a domestic fault for a mate of a mate. I rocked up, kitchen ring tripping. Asked any recent works, holes drilled etc, non was the reply ( which was a fib, but no matter). Took both legs out of the board, circuit breaker tests ok, ring has 48k short. Went to split the ring mid point and noticed no earth strap from the box to the socket ( in my day this was mandatory). Found fault, someone had fitted an outside socket, full of water. Anyway back to the internal metal back box. The ring was in a new extension, one year old. So I advised them to get the sparks back to fix it. A few days later, customer rang me and said the sparks said it's not a requirement anymore. My question..since when
As far as I'm aware, as long as 1 of the box lugs is fixed then there is no need to use a fly lead, mind you I'm a fossil as well so things may have changed, bye the bye your spelling is as bad if not worse than out current bad speller buzzlightyear, check out some of his posts, bring a tear to your eye:tongue::tongue::D

Agreed on both point. But A) why have the termination screw o the box if it's not mandatory and B) why was I told to do it and have always done it since I was a lad?

The only time it is required is if the incoming cpc is steel conduit or a cable sheath such as MI or swa. If the box has lugs of which neither is fixed it is also required. To fit one when it is not strictly necessary is neither good or poor practice.

Usually, if one of the screw lugs are fixed it is deemed that the metal k.o box is earthed through the 3.5mm screw and eyelet of the socket or other accessories if the designer/installer feels that this mechanical contact is poor or future deterioration is likely then an earth flylead is
required. If both the lugs are adjustable then this is classed as unreliable. There is nothing wrong with going beyond the minimum standard set down by BS7671.

Reply to PE from metal back box to socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock