Search the forum,

Discuss pen and pad or digital in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
your thoughts please always been a pen and pad man when its come to testing but recently I have been doing the niceic sheets on line though I've not mastered the eic one yet bit long winded and was thinking who prefers the pen and pad method still

I usually right test results on a pad in rough and then type them up neat on my iPad or computer. When I get round to buying a decent case for my iPad I'll eventually look at doing them straight on to my iPad onsite. I've been using stroma ecert which I have found to be a pain in the Arse but they do seem to be improving it all the time.

I prepare as much of the certificate at home on my certificate software, add by pen the notes and readings on site and complete the form when I get home - sure its a bit long winded but it works for me.

On big EICR's I have taken my laptop to site so that I can update the files during lunch and tea breaks

Bit of both I still can't decide which is quicker or better.

I have got my lap top set up in a silver toolbox case with padding in it , i set it up by the db and type the report up as i go along i always back it up on a memory stick incase i loose the data a my lap top

I guess a few of the older guys on here would still prefer chalk and slate.lol
I used to write the results on any scrap of paper I could find (normally instructions from accessories)lol. Then I would type them on to a PDF version of the Elecsa cert. Looks a lot neater as my hand writing is comparable to a 7 month olds!!lol

Jay

Last edited:
Rough notes on a note pad as I do the work (with handy sticky label memory jogger)
Type up the reports into Word templates and email.
If it is a minor works certificate I might write it by hand using carbon paper at the time.

All my jobs are generally planned so go on the NICEIC online thing, fill in the basics, print it off and take it with me, fill it in then just update it when I get home, or I scribble notes down, or with my phone take pictures of the test results.

When I bought my Megger 1730 with Bluetooth, I thought that's the way to go, instead of pen & paper. Until I realised the robbing B's wanted Megger money (see what I did there) for software updates, training etc. Used to print off certs and fill them in on site, till I lost one! So I use hard back diary to record test results, with my name & number in it (in case I loose that!), and complete online cert (Elecsa) at home.

When I bought my Megger 1730 with Bluetooth, I thought that's the way to go, instead of pen & paper. Until I realised the robbing B's wanted Megger money (see what I did there) for software updates, training etc. Used to print off certs and fill them in on site, till I lost one! So I use hard back diary to record test results, with my name & number in it (in case I loose that!), and complete online cert (Elecsa) at home.
I wish I had had my name and number in my notebook, it has cost me a lot losing all the test results for installs and inspections!

I bought a certificate disc that contained all Certs from a certain web site and used to print off a copy then fill in results, then go home to redo on computer. I thought it was long winded, so have reverted back to pen and pad and fill in as I go along, hand cert over at end and keep carbon copy, then if necessary notify at home.

Reply to pen and pad or digital in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net