Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Pendent light not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im a new electrician
I had a ceiling light and fan that exploded when I switched it on so i changed it to a pendent light!
First I removed the light and all i had coming from the ceiling was one wire 1.5 T&E so I wired the Red wire to the switchd live in the ceiling rose and the black to the neutral side. earth connected with sleeving to he rose.
BUT it doent work when switched on????? at the switch I have power coming in and out when switched on 235v

I am guessing its the last light on the radial curcuit I cant find where the switch strappers go as its not to the ceiling rose

any help please

.......I had a ceiling light and fan that exploded when I switched it on......
Was the ceiling fan an old existing one or was it one you'd just installed?

Any ideas why it might have exploded? Usually if something explodes there's a reason such as a wiring fault or something getting wet etc. What circuit tests did you do?

Was the ceiling fan an old existing one or was it one you'd just installed?

Any ideas why it might have exploded? Usually if something explodes there's a reason such as a wiring fault or something getting wet etc. What circuit tests did you do?

It was an exising one
the tests ive done are testing the switch which is correct
power at the ceiling rose is only 125v

It was an exising one

Need to find the JB feeding this lighting point. Check L-N and L-E for 235V. If the 125V is through L-N then sounds like a broken or loose connection, commonly in a JB. Checking to see if you get 235V through L-E clarifies whether it is the neutral or not. Really need to do some IR tests and have a dig around to see what's wrong. With the switch closed do you get 235V on the outgoing side to earth....could be a simple dodgy switch even.. By explosion what do you mean..both light and fan...are they in bits, charred, etc..

It was an exising one

Need to find the JB feeding this lighting point. Check L-N and L-E for 235V. If the 125V is through L-N then sounds like a broken or loose connection, commonly in a JB. Checking to see if you get 235V through L-E clarifies whether it is the neutral or not. Really need to do some IR tests and have a dig around to see what's wrong. With the switch closed do you get 235V on the outgoing side to earth....could be a simple dodgy switch even.. By explosion what do you mean..both light and fan...are they in bits, charred, etc..

Reply to Pendent light not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net