Discuss Pictures of tidy domestic RCBO filled boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Electron

Hello,

Has anyone got any photo's of consumer units filled with RCBO's that look very tidy. Whenever I have a board that has say 10 ways of RCBO's it is always a struggle towards the end to make nice and neat. Would be great to see what other people do.

Reading past threads about cable ties in boards I tend to stay away from these. I know it looks neater but I hate coming to boards that you have to alter when there are a load of ties in there.

I have a 12 way RCBO board to do at the end of the week and really want to get it spot on.

The board I am doing is a Contactum which the client supplied. The neutral cable from each RCBO is very long. Do people normally cut these to size? If so do you put a ferrule back on the end of the cable?

Anyway would really appreciate some ideas.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Don't tell me, you haven't been dressing and cutting RCBO neutral tails to size, ....and that's why you're RCBO CU's look a mess!!

Don't listen to all the waffle and frankly the complete and utter rubbish that you ''can't'' cut RCBO neutral tails YOU CAN, and Should (yes, ferrule any cut multi stranded tails) and that includes the functional earth tails!! Oh and DON'T pigtail those neutral tails either...

Connect functional earth leads into the same connection as the circuits CPC, that way you don't get confused and all makes sense for the next electrian that comes to work on the CU....

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to hate the RCBOs that came with a pre-curled telephone cord type neutral tail. Even in a TP-N DB they still gobbled up all the space and looked a right mess, even when straightened out as best you could.

IMG_1696.jpg

Not 10 way but still an all RCBO domestic style board. Was my first one i did!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Has anyone got any photo's of consumer units filled with RCBO's that look very tidy. Whenever I have a board that has say 10 ways of RCBO's it is always a struggle towards the end to make nice and neat. Would be great to see what other people do.

Reading past threads about cable ties in boards I tend to stay away from these. I know it looks neater but I hate coming to boards that you have to alter when there are a load of ties in there.

I have a 12 way RCBO board to do at the end of the week and really want to get it spot on.

The board I am doing is a Contactum which the client supplied. The neutral cable from each RCBO is very long. Do people normally cut these to size? If so do you put a ferrule back on the end of the cable?

Anyway would really appreciate some ideas.

Many thanks,

Chris.
great to put in your NVQ folder as well...

Not a large board - though fairly crowded, but here's a small one of mine towards the end which must have been temporarily energising just one circuit (can't remember now) as there's no bus bar in there yet and a couple of circuits yet to connect. I sometimes use ties used to keep tidy during assembly then remove at the end. Note the replacement ferrules on the earth leads, all cut to a more sensible length as also the neutrals, though I don't tend to worry too much about ferrules on the end of those as they pretty much fill the terminal anyway and make a sound contact. It also looks like the earth bar wasn't behaving itself that day either!!

2013-03-28 12.56.28.jpg

and can someone explain to me why the hell some brands are still making rcbo's with stupid fiddly earth fly leads while others dont ?
thus proving they're not needed in the first place ?????

someones gonna pay for this annoyance i can tell you !!

;-)

and can someone explain to me why the hell some brands are still making rcbo's with stupid fiddly earth fly leads while others dont ?

;-)
:smilielol5:not me Biff, I am still bruised from your last bashing of me lol

Not a large board - though fairly crowded, but here's a small one of mine towards the end which must have been temporarily energising just one circuit (can't remember now) as there's no bus bar in there yet and a couple of circuits yet to connect. I sometimes use ties used to keep tidy during assembly then remove at the end. Note the replacement ferrules on the earth leads, all cut to a more sensible length as also the neutrals, though I don't tend to worry too much about ferrules on the end of those as they pretty much fill the terminal anyway and make a sound contact. It also looks like the earth bar wasn't behaving itself that day either!!

View attachment 24086

Nice job
I ferrule everything now days

I'm from near enough to where nick is and he is right in saying can't get much around ere wholesaler wise no wholesaler I know of stocks bg

Other than the previously mentions screwfix
It is you welsh lad's fault, if you never kept speaking welsh everytime an Englishman entered North Wales we may have opened a few wholesalers there and created some Jobs :D

I looked this up a while ago , apparently ita Functional earth lead and is mostly installed on single module electronic RCDs (61009 RCBOs) and on some 2 module 61008 RCDs as well , MEM (Eaton) say the lead is there to counter any fluctuations in neutral within the unit (momentary loss of neutral) on certain inductive switching devices , i.e. Switch start flories etc , and should always be connected because the devices are set and tested with them in place , ,

If you wana speak English take your north face jacket to the lakes . Instead all you English do when you come here is dress up like Bear Grylls to walk up a hill
I wouldn't come there, I have worked all over Wales and never met so many rude racist up their own --- flukers in all my life lol

Where's the neutral bar??!

EDIT: Scrub that, just spotted the dual rail inlets.

They are fine & meet all the required BS/euro numbering for 61009's
They are as you see true DP isolating both line & neutral, they are compacts so are the same dimensions as your bog standard 60898 MCB.
The busbars are line & neutral, leaving loads of room in the enclosures as the neutral bar is not required.
They come in type B & C in the same size, ratings from 6A to 50A.
Cost £13.50 each
SBS will ONLY sell to trade & you have to be registered with a governing body (NICEIC or others), so unlucky Mr diy

Where can you get them........................now that would be telling & I cant tell here as they don't like the other forum being mentioned.

In fun and only in fun I would say to rockinit that when I was taught I was taught the largest load nearest the main incommer, LMAO, just kidding Rockinit, just kidding hehe

And I'd be in complete agreement! I can't quite remember now exactly what it was, but on all those boards (identical new-builds) they went into retirement bungalows and I think there was some sense in grouping the circuits in some way - I think maybe that 6A nearest the switch was for fire alarms and furthest away from the user? I seem to recall the 16&32 on the end were add-ons after the heating company messed up their Air Source specs (surely not, I hear you all cry....)

I was also taught the same though I can't for the life of me remember why. It makes no sense really as the bus bar is rated the same all the way along it's length but as is the case with so many things, old habits die hard.

I think I know the answer to this one

Once upon a time fuseboard didn't have busbars and you had to fit your own wire links between incoming supply and each fuse. So the heaviest loads were put at the beginning so that you could drop the cable size as you went along the fuses making the links.

I do it to , the higher rated circuit next to MS on domestic it's habbit , Iv heard some pick it up in eicr if not done that way!

but it can't really matter or 3phase boards could be tricky

The RCBO'S are wonky :jester:
Good work !!!!

Have you tried to get a spirit level in them , oh BG do all i need now is for BG to do an RCBO with a spirit level and im sorted ,, Get all my BG boards from screw fix best prices round here non of the local suppliers will supply them aindowsimon

It is you welsh lad's fault, if you never kept speaking welsh everytime an Englishman entered North Wales we may have opened a few wholesalers there and created some Jobs :D

MDJ shame on you, if you could see the looks on an English mans face when you start to speak welsh you'll understand why lol

I got taught to do it too...

Was told it was to reduce heat along the buss bar by having the heaviest load closet to the main switch IIRC...

I do it to , the higher rated circuit next to MS on domestic it's habbit , Iv heard some pick it up in eicr if not done that way!

but it can't really matter or 3phase boards could be tricky

If you read the instructions inside the lid of MEM (at least mem2 series) boards you will find instructions to alternate high and low loaded MCBS to reduce thermal effects between devices.

If you are anywhere near a Wilts they do 14W 'own brand' rcbo boards with 8 rcbos of your choice for £99 plus vat trade price! The best thing being they are lovely and big and great for space. Cheap as a populated dual rcd board and so much better for the consumer.

All rcbos for 18th edition?!?!

Reply to Pictures of tidy domestic RCBO filled boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net