Discuss Popped USB Plug advice, connected to extension lead in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

waqasahmed

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

So in my wall socket, I have plugged in

A Belkin SurgeCube (Literally saved my life at one point) I mention this, because ideally I'd want to keep this in.
A heavy duty extension lead (not surge protected) going in to that surgecube

In to the extension lead, I plugged in

A genuine HTC USB charger (CE certified, as it came with the phone)
My shaver plug

Though none of these were plugged in to any thing. I use my USB plug to charge my powerbank, which I then use in bed at night

So.. Nothing was connected to these plugs. The USB plug appeared to have went "pop" I heard a popping. It sounded like it came from the heavy duty extension lead, so I took the extension lead out of the surgecube. I say appears to have, as I tested it in the morning, and I still had no joy. I'm hoping it was just the plug..

I tested another USB plug in to the same extension lead, and that worked. I then quickly took it out of that extension lead as well... I'm not an electrician, and even if I was, I'd think it's perhaps safer to not bother too much when you're going to work and to leave it as safe as possible

The surgecube was still left on. The USB plug doesn't seem to work when trying in a different socket so I'm hoping it is just that and not something safety related.

I've now taken the SurgeCube out of the wall socket as well and used a different wall socket with a different heavy duty extension lead.

Any advice on what I should do next would be appreciated

I'm sorry. I thought I was quite detailed. Basically my USB charger (connected in to an extension lead) popped and I'm wondering if any one knows what I should do next. Is the main sockeet and extension lead safe? I'm fairly paranoid after yknow....nearly dying in what would have been a fire, if a surgecube didn't burn out (A previous surge cube - Recycled long ago)

If it went pop and no longer functions it sounds like you need a new one. As for whether your socket and extension lead are safe no one is going to be able to give an opinion without physically seeing them and testing them.

You were detaild, the usb thingy broke, throw it away. The confusion was in what else you were asking as no one can tell you whether the other stuff is safe/at fault remotely.

I'm sorry. I thought I was quite detailed. Basically my USB charger (connected in to an extension lead) popped and I'm wondering if any one knows what I should do next. Is the main sockeet and extension lead safe? I'm fairly paranoid after yknow....nearly dying in what would have been a fire, if a surgecube didn't burn out (A previous surge cube - Recycled long ago)

think the sugar cube is the problem. best use is for about 6 to be dissolved in tea or coffee.

Can you see any signs of damage on any of your devices/cables?

E.g. heat damage or smoke or swelling or burn marks. Do the pins of the charger plug look damaged? Do any of the smell?

If there is no sign of damage to anything and only the charger has stopped working then I would just replace that. But if you are in any doubt then it wouldn't cost much to replace the other parts as well or get an electrician to inspect and test all the bits. Although I would think this would cost more than replacing.

One safety tip that many people may ignore or not be aware,if you use an extension cable,make sure,if it is on a reel, it is fully unwound before applying loads to it

Reply to Popped USB Plug advice, connected to extension lead in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock