Search the forum,

Discuss Pre Work Testing. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi,

Can someone run through what tests should be undertaken to circuits etc prior to deciding to taking on a job or to starting a job to help foresee any potential problems?

Thanks

If you are getting into testing prior to quoting for work, then at least make a charge for your time oherwise make it clear up front that problems will be charged for as you find them. By carying out a PIR to some degree and offering a partial refund on getting the work done. This way you get:

• A heads up on potential pit falls
  • Get a customer who is committed and serious about the work being done correctly
  • A more accurate up front quote
  • Most of your test results before you start
  • Ability to pre-order most of your hardware

If you are getting into testing prior to quoting for work, then at least make a charge for your time oherwise make it clear up front that problems will be charged for as you find them. By carying out a PIR to some degree and offering a partial refund on getting the work done. This way you get:

• A heads up on potential pit falls
  • Get a customer who is committed and serious about the work being done correctly
  • A more accurate up front quote
  • Most of your test results before you start
  • Ability to pre-order most of your hardware

Thanks for the reply Graeme.

Totally agree with all your info.

Can you be more specific about what tests I should carry out prior to works ie, if someone want extras socket put in.

Chris

I would test the circuit to make sure that the ring main is intact and test rcd prior to beginning,check main earthing,bonding all in place,saves you any hassle later

Reply to Pre Work Testing. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net