Discuss Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Although you are doing totally the right thing by pricing by the hour , I think you will be OK with the help of 3 or 4 others to help you .You do not say how many cores the cable will be , but even a 5 core 16mm will fit all be it some what snugly . Don't forget to meter out the cable as it is pulled so that you know where to dig and break in to the duct if needed ! You say it is in semi woodland , so I assume digging will not make much of a scar if the need arises . You should be able to borrow a set of jacks from your wholesales if you have none and a sock would be good but blue BT rope will do , I would not go to far along the cable with the knots though as this is where the dreaded friction will be the worst . With one person feeding it in to the duct , (and I mean feeding ! ) and 3 or 4 pulling you will be surprised what you can move .

Last edited:
Goodluck.

Last cable i pulled in was not fun, it might only have been network cable but in old ducting, no rope and existing cables made it a basterd.

It should have been easy and it was till last bit.

I like the poll! :juggle:

I was kind of thinking some sort of steel cable grabber might make for a slimmer hold on the SWA. Maybe rather than knotting the rope over, I make up a swaged steel cable with half a dozen little steel cable lassos on it and grab it with that.

- Then maybe some kind of hat (perhaps a steel pipe with a conical/reduced front end) on the front cable end to help exit the pull cable axially. I could also swage the rope loop to that which would avoid any bulky rope knots...

The conduit is all ridged though.

Lubricant then which won't damage the cable? - Vegetable oil? Tallow?

I like the poll! :juggle:

I was kind of thinking some sort of steel cable grabber might make for a slimmer hold on the SWA. Maybe rather than knotting the rope over, I make up a swaged steel cable with half a dozen little steel cable lassos on it and grab it with that.

- Then maybe some kind of hat (perhaps a steel pipe with a conical/reduced front end) on the front cable end to help exit the pull cable axially. I could also swage the rope loop to that which would avoid any bulky rope knots...

The conduit is all ridged though.

Lubricant then which won't damage the cable? - Vegetable oil? Tallow?

Yellow 77?

Not having a big swage tool doesn't help.. but if one were to strip off a foot of the SWA, pull all the wires together into a cone and swage a decent sized pull cable to that, it might go as well as can be expected..:lightbulb:.

Corrugated plastic pipe, couldn't of chosen a worse design for such a long pull. The other thing is, how strong is this conduit /duct?? Laid at 600mm, if the wall isn't of a sufficient thickness, then there is a good chance the pipe's wall in places could have already collapsed, or starting to collapse, under the weight of the soil.

You're either going to be lucky and the pulling is going to go like a knife through butter, or as i suspect it's going to be a long pull, with one thing cropping up after another and ending up with a stretched cable at the end for all you're trouble. Use plenty of lubricant, ...you're going to need it methinks!! lol!!

Reply to Pulling 16mm SWA through 150 M of conduit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net