Discuss Pyro in a flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's been a repossession where the person has removed all the light fittings so they want all new face plates alter some points in the kitchen and re fit new lights.

No RCD protection required to buried cables which have an earthed sheath which is capable of being used as a cpc....for which pyro qualifies.
Does not mean RCD protection for other purposes is not required though....such as sockets for general use.

I thought that piro's do need rcd protection because they are not adequatly protected in the wall like cables in conduit are?????

I still believe that MICC cable has the BS classification of BS EN 60702-1 and that is a cable that is identified in regulation 522.6.101 (ii) that does not require RCD protection if installed in a wall less than 50mm

Is there a particular reason why you don't want to install RCDs? I mean, the socket circuits and bathroom circuits could do with RCD protection anyway, so if it were me I'd IR test the circuits and bang in RCD protection.

Although I know Pyro does not need RCD protection if its buried in the wall, I may cause controversy here, I would still RCD protect the cable as the copper sheath doesn't provide enough protection from penetration of nails or screws.

Anyway, as other posters have said you still need to RCD the bathroom light and general sockets.

Depends who owned the flat when the work was carried out, glos council went through a phase in the mid eighties where every premises they owned which became a dwelling was rewired in Pyro, houses, flats, care homes etc, so it may have been a council flat back then and hence the pyro.

In the 1960's we always wired council property in pyro.
This also covered public buildings, churches and when we worked on them Boiler Houses and Warships.
nearly 70years of age and I can still make a pyro end off with a pair of side cutters, potting tools, and hand crimpers.
Its so easy.
Problem is they do not teach these skills any more, in fact modern day apprenticeships are NOT apprenticeships but training schemes.
One needs a Day to Day mentor for on the job mentoring ( Vocational training) different from the underpinning knowledge learned in college

Unless people 'install' it with no glands!

You must be a young'un....lol!!

There is a system for using MICC cables that doesn't require glanding at the accessories. The wall and ceiling boxes are provided with pot clamps that securely clamps the made off pots to the boxes. The only glanding on such systems are those to the CU/DB....

You must be a young'un....lol!!

There is a system for using MICC cables that doesn't require glanding at the accessories. The wall and ceiling boxes are provided with pot clamps that securely clamps the made off pots to the boxes. The only glanding on such systems are those to the CU/DB....
Well, I also didn't know about them but I was actually meaning the SWA that doesn't need RCD'ing, unless it's like the one i saw today connecting to four outside floor lights each connected with the armouring just taped off! Wouldn't like to be the one putting the spade through the one midway along!

Well, I also didn't know about them but I was actually meaning the SWA that doesn't need RCD ing, unless it's like the one i saw today connecting to four outside floor lights each connected with the armouring just taped off! Wouldn't like to be the one putting the spade through the one midway along!

I really must read posts more carefully!! lol!!

I suppose the SWA you mention could have an internal CPC, but your right the armouring still needs an earth connection, throughout it's length...

Engineer54 Totally agree with you.
Installing Pyro with glands is only required WHEN and only IF there are Female Sockets to screw the gland into. Otherwise use the clamp system.#
These young uns would not know that, but they must remember to paint the clamps with galvafroid / anti rust compound once it has been installed IF the clamp outer face has been damaged by grips as it will then rust.
This is another part of the training that is not taught, how many install black Enameled / Glav conduit but DO NOT paint over the screwed joints ???

Reply to Pyro in a flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net