Discuss RCB Keeps Tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonny4580

I have been to a house where the rcb keeps tripping out, ive looked in all the sockets and there are no loose wires but every ten mins or so it trips out again has anyone got any ideas how to solve3 this, Or could i change the rcb for a mcb which is less sensitive?
Cheers
Jonny

You need to clarify the situation as the guys have said.

RCD/RCBO, is the RCD also the main switch for all circuits, if not then is it a lighting circuit, socket circuit etc??

only way as i see it is to IR each circuit separately, then trace the fault on the circuit that gives the poor reading

only way as i see it is to IR each circuit separately, then trace the fault on the circuit that gives the poor reading

Good first test to start with, I was wondering though if it was a RCD, I like to do a ramp test on it. With so much modern equipment having High protective current currents it's a good thing to see what the RCD actually trips at

as widdler says. first thing is to unplug appliances, then see if fault clears

its a 10 way split load box and the rcd device keeps tripping, we've tried to remove all the plugs to eliminate a faulty applience but it still trips there is one socket on the ring that buzzes when it's on but if you turn it off its quite so im gonna change the socket front and see if that cures it what do you think ill look at device later and post exactly what it is! Its the kind with the test button on the front if that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an RCD for sure.

I'm guessing it's only protecting socket outlets & shower etc, with all the lighting being on the main switch side???

Unplug all appliances, switch off MCB's one at a time, be sure to check in cupboards and the attic for hidden sockets for TV boosters etc. Check the RCD as previously mentioned, if problem persists then start breaking circuits down and IR testing.

A socket that buzz's curious ,well that would be a good start , it could well be water that has got into some where , you need to check what circuits are connected to the protected side you may well have some outside lights on it ,and with the heavy rain bursts we have could well be water in a fitting or even a leaky shower , or dare i mention it again , a pet thats pee'd over a socket , i say that because in the last few months i have been called out 4 times to tripping RCD's and it was due to just that lol

ytou say the buzzing socket has a test button, that sounds like an RCD socket. may be an idea to isolate it then see

sorry it'snot the socket thats got the button on its the rcd in the fuse box, ive found out which circuit needs turning off to stop it from happening but its the cooker circuit, and the cooker is working fine. but if i put the cooker mcb on it starts tripping again i'm gonna replace the faulty socket in the morning and see what other circuits are on that side of the consumer unit "see if its one of those that needs attention too, i think there is upstairs ring downstairs ring cooker and lights on that side im not 100% though the sockets are definatly on that side though so i'm hoping replacing the faulty socket front will cure it, What are your thoughts please?
Many thanks
Jonny

P.S Telectrix... What do you mean when you say IR each circuit, ive got test equipment but im not sure where to connect it to what do i need to measure please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this started happening after they have given the oven a good clean recently?? Usually damp on the element can cause RCD problems.

i may be a bit of a numpty here but if the cooker circuit is tripping the RCD ,, how is the cooker working fine ???????

Nickblake, You tell me pal i think whoever eired it up did something wrong coz ive got the problem down to the downstairs ring, but i dont undersstand why the cooker is live when the breaker for it it off either,????

If you are having problems with the downstairs ring and the cooker is on when youv got the mcb for the cooker off then id suggest checking the cooker hasnt been fed off the ringmain then.

Could be the result of dodgy kitchen install. See a few times when people have had a new kitchen put in the fitter has messed with the wiring because its in the wrong place etc

sounds that could be the prob. i know kitchen sparks have improved recently, but some of the older installs i have seen defy description. I was asked to add an extra Twin Socket in a kitchen recently, right next to existing socket. Piece of cake, i thought, just cut tiles fit box, wire up, job done. UH, OH, opened existing socket, 2 x 2.5mm, ring main, but what is this 0.75 lighting flex doing, tapped into terminals? yep, buried in wall to single socket in base unit supplying dishwasher!!!!!!! You can do it, B&Q IT

i think this need further investigation im not getting into an argument over what kithcen fitter do or have done as there appears to be a fault ,so firstly id remove the cover off the CDU and check the circuits as to whats labled , it may be a labling error ,weve never seen that happen have we (sorry being sarkey there) check if the cooker is in the board with 6mm at the mcb and that it corrosponds with the shedual on the db cover swich the ring off and see if the cooker goes off that will confirm wether the cooker is off the ring or wether there is a cross supply where to circuits have been linked with the mcb off test it to see if that circuits dead , with the wiard and wonderfull things people do eh

Check that lines and neutrals of each circuit are in their correct places. (Not sure if you were saying that Nick, apologies if you were) Sounds as if it needs a thorough check.

Reply to RCB Keeps Tripping in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net