Discuss RCBO Max Earth Loop Impedance Readings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KiltedSparky

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, so please be easy on me.;)

We currently have new Merlin Gerin consumer units installed within Aberdeen College, and looking at table 41.3 b the eli readings should be 0.72 minus rule of thumb. This fails most of the existing circuits. When i contacted manufacturer they said to forget tables and work out readings by deviding 50 by MA present at RCBO. Can someone verify if this is correct as in regs book it gives you a table seperatly for a TT system which works with manufacturers method but not for TN system

Many thanks for advice in advance , as my next step is contacting NICEIC technical

There is general thought that if your loop imp results are under 1667 and the circuit is 30mA RCD protected then its fine on any system.

I, however would prefer to get them as low as possible regardless of the book.

Hi Kilted, welcome along.:D

As they are existing circuits that fail then yes an RCBO can be fitted as additional protection and this then technically does increase the max ZS value to 1667 ohms, overuling table 41.3 in ol' red.

The current trend that seems to be rife at the moment is that Zs no longer matters as "we can just bung it on an RCD" this I feel is not the case. In my opinion fitting an RCD to a circuit that doesn't technically need it because the Zs is too high should be a last resort and we should always do our best to get our readings within limits.

Reply to RCBO Max Earth Loop Impedance Readings in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net