Discuss RCD doesnt trip on test. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Templar - have a think about what happens when you press that test button.

I suspect you have a N-E fault. Your radio probably doesn't even draw 30mA so wouldn't trip it anyway.

Try testing the T button on the RCD with ALL the MCBs tripped and circuit neutrals disconnected - I bet it works.

If you have a short N-E in one of the circuits this board supplies, the test current generated when you press the button will be divided through the actual fault path, and also the artificial one provided by the test button. The odds are that the device will not trip because the required trip current will not met.

Worth trying.....

Templar - have a think about what happens when you press that test button.

I suspect you have a N-E fault. Your radio probably doesn't even draw 30mA so wouldn't trip it anyway.

Try testing the T button on the RCD with ALL the MCBs tripped - I bet it works.

If you have a short N-E in one of the circuits this board supplies, the test current generated when you press the button will be divided through the actual fault path, and also the artificial one provided by the test button. The odds are that the device will not trip because the required trip current will not met.

Worth trying.....
Interesting... I have removed all circuits from the board and it still does not trip on test.

Sorry buddy, I edited the post after I read it through again, did you disconnect final circuit neutrals too?
Hi board has no circuits on it apart from a single socket on a lead and the RCD does not trip on test but trips as soon as load is placed on it. Could I have a N-E fault on the SWA? If so, would it not trip the RCD in the house CU which feeds it?

Hmmmmnnnn

See, if you also have the RCD in the main board supplying, you are still dividing the test current between two RCDs. It's a difficult one.

You really need to be able to IR test.

Do you have an unprotected way on the main board to connect the external board to?

Hmmmmnnnn

See, if you also have the RCD in the main board supplying, you are still dividing the test current between two RCDs. It's a difficult one.

You really need to be able to IR test.

Do you have an unprotected way on the main board to connect the external board to?
Hi, I do, but I would have to move the SWA as it is at the opposite end of the board. What if I took to RCD out of the garage board. Would the RCD in the house CU (it is an exclusive one for this circuit) be sufficient?

Not only sufficient, but preferable. The RCD on the main board would protect the whole installation from the SWA to the final circuits.

Don't forget that when you remove the RCD you need to do full testing and notify the work though, you will be changing the characteristics of the circuit.

Also, removing the RCD is not going to cure the fault you probably have somewhere.........

Not only sufficient, but preferable. The RCD on the main board would protect the whole installation from the SWA to the final circuits.

Don't forget that when you remove the RCD you need to do full testing and notify the work though, you will be changing the characteristics of the circuit.
Also, removing the RCD is not going to cure the fault you probably have somewhere.........
Thanks for the advice. If the fault was anywhere other than the RCD in the garage board, would the RCD in the house CU not have tripped when a load was placed on the side of the garage unit that was not protected?

Morning, I have this morning removed the RCD in the garage CU. The board is now served by SWA via 40A MCB protected by 63a RCD. Reconnected the ring and nothing trips when load applied (drill) at either end of circuit. The RCD in the board was 80a, will the 63a on the house cu be sufficient? Also, would you change the 40a MCB or leave it as is? Thanks again to all those that offered their advice. This is a great forum :)

I say that it would be perfectly acceptable to have the RCD at the supply end, however more preferable to have it at the sub-board in the garage, as if it trips you don't have to go back to the house etc. etc.
SWA would not benefit in anyway from RCD protection.
Either way its a garage, if its working now its all good :)

Reply to RCD doesnt trip on test. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net