Discuss RCD on bathroom lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say the special location is the whole bathroom. The different zones indicate the ip rated equipment that can be used in a particular zone. Whole bathroom I.e. Special location, all circuits need RCD protection. That's how I determine it

Beat me to it
but when you lot go independent and we build a big trench right through the Watford gap then it will be to late to rape and pillage in England Archie

here is one. the DB has a rcd covering all circuits but the lighting circuits. the bathroom is classed as a special zone so the lighting in the bathroom needs to be rcd protected "lighting in zone 2,3". what are your thoughts on putting an rcd spur outside the bathroom next to the fan isolator for example?

here is one. the DB has a rcd covering all circuits but the lighting circuits. the bathroom is classed as a special zone so the lighting in the bathroom needs to be rcd protected "lighting in zone 2,3". what are your thoughts on putting an rcd spur outside the bathroom next to the fan isolator for example?

I think it will look quite pretty next to the fan isolator. Are you connecting anything into it ? If so, what are your thoughts on this with reference to compliance with the regulations ?

i did this with ip65 downlights in a home that did not have any rcd's "old re-wireables " i did a post a while back on here. tbh i hope one day rcbo's become really cheap so we could just have every circuit on its own. saves half or all circuits going off at one time XD

reading threw a document from a site it says

Zone 0 is inside the bath or shower itself. Any fitting used in this zone must be low voltage, (max 12v) and be rated at least IP67 which is total immersion proof.
Zone 1 is the area above the bath to a height of 2.25m from the floor. In this zone a
minimum rating of IP44 is required. If the fitting is 240v a 30ma residual current device
(RCD) must also be used to protect the circuit in this zone.
Zone 2 is an area stretching 0.6m outside the perimeter of the bath and to a height of
2.25m from the floor. In this zone an IP rating of at least IP44 is required. In addition it
is good practice to consider the area around a wash basin, within a 60cm radius of any
tap to be
considered as zone 2.
Zone 3 is anywhere outside zones 0,1 and 2 (subject to specific limits) and where no
water jet is likely to be used. No IP rating is required. In addition to the above, if there is
a likelihood of water jets being used for cleaning purpose in zones 1,2 and 3 a fitting
rated a minimum IP65 must be used

i did this with ip65 downlights in a home that did not have any rcd's "old re-wireables " i did a post a while back on here. tbh i hope one day rcbo's become really cheap so we could just have every circuit on its own. saves half or all circuits going off at one time XD

Zone 0 is inside the bath or shower itself. Any fitting used in this zone must be low voltage, (max 12v) and be rated at least IP67 which is total immersion proof.
Zone 1 is the area above the bath to a height of 2.25m from the floor. In this zone a
minimum rating of IP44 is required. If the fitting is 240v a 30ma residual current device
Zone 2 is an area stretching 0.6m outside the perimeter of the bath and to a height of
2.25m from the floor. In this zone an IP rating of at least IP44 is required. In addition it
is good practice to consider the area around a wash basin, within a 60cm radius of any
tap to be
considered as zone 2.
Zone 3 is anywhere outside zones 0,1 and 2 (subject to specific limits) and where no
water jet is likely to be used. No IP rating is required. In addition to the above, if there is
a likelihood of water jets being used for cleaning purpose in zones 1,2 and 3 a fitting

must be an old doc. zone 3 is no more. it is an ex-zone. stuck to it's perch with glue.

tap to be
considered as zone 2.

Why are you reading some out of date info from a website ? All the relevant info on this matter is in your regs book ......

Reply to RCD on bathroom lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net