Discuss Really old memshield 3 phase board. New install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes you are orrect the ratting on the fuse holder is the maximum size fuse you can put in it, it may be the case that you have to replace the db that is there or fit a seperate switched fuse and rcd , have you checked that the supply can take the additional load?

I used to install those MEM boards.
You can't change the Carriers (pair) for larger ones, their max rating is as identified on the carrier.

If the spec of the oven IS as stated unbalanced, which I doubt, then as is being suggested above you need a lot more thought into the design of the new installation.

thanks for your informative post, that helps. i doubt it is that far out of balance myself but that is the information i got given weather it turns out to be right or not.
either way if the highest rating carrier in that board is a 30a then its a no go.

thanks for your informative post, that helps. i doubt it is that far out of balance myself but that is the information i got given weather it turns out to be right or not.
either way if the highest rating carrier in that board is a 30a then its a no go.
sounds to me like the figures they gave are for different sections of the oven and not total load per phase etc

first job is to get the correct figures (A/phase) for the oven. only then can you start calculating cable size, fuse sizes, etc.

yes quite true that will be my first job, i am there on monday i know total load is 64A but been given the information of 47a 9a 9a, im hoping it is false information. not done a load test on the board as of yet just been given all the information. Now i have a better understanding of this board and what my limits are ive got something to work with.

thanks

Right, it's an MEM EXCEL fuseboard, which is still a current product (apart from the colour they still make them identical). The carriers are rated for a max of 30A each if it is a 30A board, this should be on the label fixed to the inside of the door, along with other useful information about the board.

yes quite true that will be my first job, i am there on monday i know total load is 64A but been given the information of 47a 9a 9a, im hoping it is false information. not done a load test on the board as of yet just been given all the information. Now i have a better understanding of this board and what my limits are ive got something to work with.

thanks
i cant be arsed to help someone like this and i don't want to block them

ill edit stuff out

Last edited:
Why are you still conversing with this guy?!

It was clear from the outset that he didn't have a clue and you're still helping him!

64a equally spread over 3 phases? is that ho it always works?

i already told you from the start i have been "given" the information of the phases, what more can i give you apart from the information ive been given until i can confirm it for myself..
not all three phase appliances are balanced loads. you cant just say oh 63a total that means 21a per phase.
if you got 8 elements 2 running at different wattages to the other 6 split over 3 phases it wont work out equal.
D SKELTON do you have any electrical knowledge because you put about 10 posts on here and not one of them have shown any electrical experience? are you a 5 week wonder as well?

thanks

not all three phase appliances are balanced loads. you cant just say oh 63a total that means 21a per phase.
if you got 8 elements 2 running at different wattages to the other 6 split over 3 phases it wont work out equal.

How much work have you done with 3 phase loads? I'm guessing not a lot! If a 3ph appliance is quoted as requiring a 32A supply for example it needs a 32A 3 ph supply. NOT a total of 32A if you add all the phases up.

No an appliance won't always be balanced but the manufacturer will have taken this in to account when writing the spec for the supply it needs.

Spec'ing a 3ph supply by how many amps each phase needs is in the least a very daft idea!

i dont even know why this thread exists.

in 3 steps

1. check appliance for brand
2. check for model on sticker/unit
3. go on there website or call them and they will tell you what is the minimum supply it needs.

why is this so difficult it takes minutes

i dont even know why this thread exists.

in 3 steps

1. check appliance for brand
2. check for model on sticker/unit
3. go on there website or call them and they will tell you what is the minimum supply it needs.

why is this so difficult it takes minutes

IN ONE STEP!

Get a qualified electrician to do the work!

How many times?!

How much work have you done with 3 phase loads? I'm guessing not a lot! If a 3ph appliance is quoted as requiring a 32A supply for example it needs a 32A 3 ph supply. NOT a total of 32A if you add all the phases up.

No an appliance won't always be balanced but the manufacturer will have taken this in to account when writing the spec for the supply it needs.

Spec'ing a 3ph supply by how many amps each phase needs is in the least a very daft idea!

we've established its 3 phase and also established its total load is 63a.. where did i say it needs to be on a 63a supply because thats what all the phases add up to?
i didnt, i said ive been given this load information which doest look quite right but ill find out monday, but just because it is total load is 63a does not necessarily mean its 21a per phase which some people didnt get but #32 clarified what i was trying to get across.
there will be a data plate on the back which will explain all and also prove the info i got given isnt quite right. so until then its irrelevant, i needed to know about the board mainly which i wasnt familiar with which i got on #26.
the rest i can deal with when i get there..
thanks for the answers, its been amusing.
D Skelton no hard feelings, its all banter. but if you not going to answer any questions then its a waste of time typing.

Reply to Really old memshield 3 phase board. New install. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net