Discuss removal of main cutout fuse! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Democracy sounds good but it looks like the Assosiation of Meter Operators have a strong lobby plus in this current economical climate politician will not vote for more costs to business no matter how cheap it is as macro economics take place so if you change 100,000 meters a year that a £1.2 million cost on you even although it will cost more to send someone out to put an isolator in the long run it makes common sense but because of deregulation there is big demarcation lines ie meter guys will only touch the meter and the head guys
will not work on the consumer side

Im sure there is a note with regard to pulling dno fuses in the BGB along the lines of ringing them telling them your pulling it and they need to re seal it , ( the phrase competent person is also in there) so assuming if your Nic elecsa etc pull away ???

Im sure there is a note with regard to pulling dno fuses in the BGB along the lines of ringing them telling them your pulling it and they need to re seal it , ( the phrase competent person is also in there) so assuming if your Nic elecsa etc pull away ???

See my post no. 80.

I've set up a petition on the government e-petitions website.

It's got to be approved but as soon as i get the confirmation email I'll post up a link on here.

Wonder if the mods could promote it like the "Fatally Flawed" campaign...

Its an idiotic system
it should be compulsary for the suppliers to upgrade there equipment and provide a adequate means of isolation to allow improvements to be made such as fitting the CCU without breaking any laws or seals
Or allow the seals to be cut and new tails installed as long as the supplier is notified and temporary seals fitted upon completion as well as having to fit a DP isolator if the equipment looks safe to do so

Its an idiotic system
it should be compulsary for the suppliers to upgrade there equipment and provide a adequate means of isolation to allow improvements to be made such as fitting the CCU without breaking any laws or seals
Or allow the seals to be cut and new tails installed as long as the supplier is notified and temporary seals fitted upon completion as well as having to fit a DP isolator if the equipment looks safe to do so

I think we would all be in agreement mate. Just been reading an article in the last ECA magazine saying how they have been lobbying parliament to get something sorted, and that the Government is on-board with finding a solution. I think the key is for us all to write to our MP, as this is a matter of safety.

UPDATE...

Contacted e-petitions website yesterday to ask why my petition hadn't been finalised.

They said that as it was quite complex it might involve more than one government department so they were taking time to check it properly and make sure everything was ok.

I'll keep everyone updated and hopefully post up the link on here in the next few days...

We would not need this if the Electrical Safety Council had got the government to either get the DNOsto fit an isolation switch or get one fitted in the new smart meters but nope the government were lobbied by the meter and DNO companies stating there was no need to put this extra cost or burden on to business as it was no a safety issue reference Switched On issue 25.

I have signed this but I feel big business has more of a say plus I returned to a job this morning to fix a socket and I had fitted an isolator when I changed the CU now there was 16mm singles coming from the meter but since then the meter and mains were renewed and they fitted an isolator now you are asking what 2 isolators YEP and worse than that they kept the 16mm singles as this was on the consumer side in.

The customer did ask saying the electrician had left enough DI cable going to the CU but no.So this morning it took me 10 minutes to put the DI cable straight into their isolator thus removing the one I fitted and the single 16mm.

Sorry no pics left camera in the house

We would not need this if the Electrical Safety Council had got the government to either get the DNOsto fit an isolation switch or get one fitted in the new smart meters but nope the government were lobbied by the meter and DNO companies stating there was no need to put this extra cost or burden on to business as it was no a safety issue reference Switched On issue 25.

I have signed this but I feel big business has more of a say plus I returned to a job this morning to fix a socket and I had fitted an isolator when I changed the CU now there was 16mm singles coming from the meter but since then the meter and mains were renewed and they fitted an isolator now you are asking what 2 isolators YEP and worse than that they kept the 16mm singles as this was on the consumer side in.

The customer did ask saying the electrician had left enough DI cable going to the CU but no.So this morning it took me 10 minutes to put the DI cable straight into their isolator thus removing the one I fitted and the single 16mm.

Sorry no pics left camera in the house

Just shows the average intelligence of these guys....

interesting point, when the old sangamo weston mechanical meter was removed at my house, it was replaced by a new digital meter WITH A BUILT IN ISOLATOR!, when it went faulty a couple of years later it was replaced by another digi meter, without an isolator, when I asked the guy, he just said, "we're not fitting those any more". It was the same make, just minus isolator. When the original digi meter was fitted, I asked the DNO man what the difference in price was, he laughed and told me the old black mechanical meters were about £70 each, whereas the new ones cost..........................."about £11"! So the "cost to much" excuse is a bit invalid then?

Reply to removal of main cutout fuse! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net