Discuss removal of main cutout fuse! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all,

I think this may be a controversial question, but here goes..

I have passed my domestic installers course and will be getting registered soon (so showing a CU change would be good). I would like to update my consumer unit and have read many of the posts on this site regarding that. I will first try and get the DNO to fit an isolation switch if not then I do not want to work with live tails so pulling the main cutout seems like the option. Lets say for arguments sake that I will get permission by the DNO, thats not really what I want to get into on this thread.

From other threads I think it a very good idea to first assess what type of head it is (cast iron seems one to avoid) and what condition it is in.

Wear electricians gloves.

Test the tails after removal of main fuse to be 100% sure they are not live.

Have main switch off when removing and replacing.

One question is how to make the meter box safe for others whilst I am working inside. Do I just remove the fuse from the main cutout and replace?

This is clearly something that should have been taught during my course, but it wasn't, they just said pull it, which isn't good enough for me.

Any futher advice on removing the main cutout fuse would be most welcome.

Cheers.

The answer is quite simple mate, you're not allowed to play with the DNO's toys that's why it's not taught on the course. Whether you choose to pull or wait for an isolator to be fitted is down to you, but you know what PPE is recommended

option 1. get an isolator fitted. is the best solution. this should be fitted between the meter and CU.

option 2. pull the fuse. if doing this, either a blank fuse carrier or remove the fuse from the existing carrier and fit temp. to cover the live terminals. problem here is that you will have to either, a. putt the meter tails into henley blocks and then your new tails from there to CU , or, b. cut meter seals to fit new tails direct into meter.

option 1. is the ideal way to go, but be prepared for an hour or 2 on the phone, trying to get someone who knows what an isolator is. getting a bod out to do the job within a fortnight of when you want it doing.

If you pull the main fuse, that is your decision, but I always remember what the old man used to say to me........Remember if you come in contact with the conductors of the main network, you will be a long time dead before any downstream fuse blows.

Hello all,

I think this may be a controversial question, but here goes..

I have passed my domestic installers course and will be getting ........................................................

This is clearly something that should have been taught during my course, but it wasn't, they just said pull it, which isn't good enough for me.

They teach you to break The Law??????!!!

must be i'm getting old now. never used to have to pull a fuse. tails out of CU (live, one at a time) into henley blocks, new tails from henleys into CU. ring DNO to connect new tails direct into meter whenever they could be arsed to attend.

You can get tempey seils.from doa and.they re seil with in two.week sec do.them.in.Hampshire.as I.hve some.bear in.mind.if your changing a cu do carrey out testing of cuircts

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

DONT PULL THE FUSE..... WORK LIVE...not!

Safest way is to make sure no load...ie turn everything off.

Various PPE options....your call???

Once its out, I like to remove the fuse from the carrier and pop it back in, this removes the riskof inadvertantly knocking a bare cpc into the live part of the holder.

I buy seals from ebay, they do not look anything like the original so no risk of fraud allegations and return the installation to the same level of security/safety

DO NOT PULL DNO FUSES ITS ILLEGAL AND FROWNED UPON

We dont pull the DNO fuse without thier permission and wearing the right PPE....everyone knows that.

Even better is to preplan the unit change and get DNO to install an isolator.

Out of interest has anyone looked into wether any of the DNO's do any sort of training (with cert) for us humble sparks so we can pull a DNO fuse and reseal after wards without having to constantly phone them for permission (as thats what we always do right??.......maybe.....)

Of the options pulling the fuse is the realistic way. Otherwise as Tel said you’ll be waiting until a fortnight next Wednesday or maybe some other time, when they might show up.
While you have the fuse out remove it from the carrier and use the carrier as a blank while you work, at the same time keep a note of it’s rating for your records.
First job is fit your own isolator, it’s there for future use if needs be.
As you have said yourself, leave CI heads alone, it’s not much fun when the porcelain carrier cracks in to three bits. It happened to me with a 400A carrier, but then I could turn off the feeder.

option 1. get an isolator fitted. is the best solution. this should be fitted between the meter and CU.

option 2. pull the fuse. if doing this, either a blank fuse carrier or remove the fuse from the existing carrier and fit temp. to cover the live terminals. problem here is that you will have to either, a. putt the meter tails into henley blocks and then your new tails from there to CU , or, b. cut meter seals to fit new tails direct into meter.

option 1. is the ideal way to go, but be prepared for an hour or 2 on the phone, trying to get someone who knows what an isolator is. getting a bod out to do the job within a fortnight of when you want it doing.

Thanks Telectrix,

Why do I need to put the tails into a Henley block? Why not just put the old tails into the new CU?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Telectrix,

Why do I need to put the tails into a Henley block? Why not just put the old tails into the new CU?

Some DNO's do run a course qualifying you to pull fuses but they won't allow you to do it unless you have a metering contract with them
In other words you'd be wasting your time and money, I spoke to several representatives of two DNO's regarding this, and they were adamant there is no legal way of getting round this , there is I believe one or two (I don't know which ,it was on another thread here)who have an arrangement in place for members of a scheme allowing them to do it but they have to notify the DNO and fill out some forms before and after.

when they do come out and install an isolator make sure the customer is aware that they will get charged for this work by the dno and payment is on the day when they arrive (northwest area £80).

British Gas only charge £39 for a isolator upgrading the tails and fuse if required and possible they will also fit a new DIGI meter if needed.
its £39 for 1 or all of the above

I think Tel was referring to you jsut removing the fuse as the seals wernt present when yo arrived
and then connecting your tails from the CCU into a henley and the load tails from the meter into it
Are you meaning pull the fuse and then fit new board and connect existing tails into this while its disconnected may as well fit a iso
are the existing tails adequate and undamaged

If so I would just leave them in place but fit your own 100A D.P. Isolator then you could fit the existing tails into it the supply terminals and your new tails in the load side re seal etc after illegally removing the fuse safely with all loads removed after assessing the risk and possibly using PPE if you feel its necessarry re fit the fuse carrier
Is it not possible to leave old CCU in place whilst fitting new and in the mean time getting DNO fit a isolator

I always get a Isolator fitted by supplier if possible lol

when they do come out and install an isolator make sure the customer is aware that they will get charged for this work by the dno and payment is on the day when they arrive (northwest area £80).

i thought i would mention this because one customer a couple of years ago on a cu change thought i was going to deduct the £80 off my bill because i hadnt told them they would get charged (thats what they thought!) customers do try it on.

I have tried the route of the DNO, supplier, metering company & none of it worked passed around and got absolutely no where. Some area's are great for this and fit isolators within a reasonable time. I know an electrician who removes the tails live one at a time, trims them and puts into henly's block. I think he's crazy. i have a face mask, 1000v gloves and protectors, all from ARCO. I only use them when i pull the fuse (seals are always missing anyway :innocent:... Switch off all loads, Assess the fuse carrier, if looks O.k pull it out, remove fuse & reinsert carrier or tape over. Do your work, re-instate, seal up with seals from fleabay so nobody can remove it without a tool. I also never go into the meter now, i only use henlys or lucy blocks unless the tails were drastically undersized.

I know an electrician who removes the tails live one at a time, trims them and puts into henly's block. I think he's crazy.
that's how i was trying to explain how we always used to do it. once the tails were out. it was easy to bang into a henley. too awkward to bend live tails into a CU . this was before deregulation, when it was a hanging offence to cut seals.

Thanks all,

I shall hopefully be doing this job sometime in september so will let you know how I get on with it, and how I get on with the DNO fitting an isolator.

I've checked and my main cutout fuse REALLY doesn't have any seals!

Cheers.

I really really don't like the idea of pulling tails out live!

Age old thing comes to mind, "work dead, stay alive"...

Isn't it acceptable and legal to pull the DNO fuse if there is a risk to people's safety? As soon as you've got a live tail floating around then that's a safety issue so you can pull the fuse anyway!

First time I have arranged for DNO to come out and fit an Isolator for a client. £74 and a 2 week wait. I wouldn't have recommended it any other occasion but the property earthing system is available for upgrade so it made sense, unfortunately all at additional cost for client... but it's worth it:)

Reply to removal of main cutout fuse! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock