Discuss removal of main cutout fuse! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The tails on the fuse are sealed, but so are the tails as they enter the meter, so as long as the latter seals are intact I fail to see why anyone would get upset, I would never work live on tails I fit isolators on all the CU's now, if you were on the fiddle the meter seals would have been broken.

J

No if you're on the fiddle you only need remove the main cut out and then feed tails direct to the consumer unit, weed farm style.

Face mask? Gloves?? Has anyone ever seen the DNO work??? Usually they can't be bothered to go to the van so they just cut and shut! I think they get fed up because people cut the seal and don't put anything back, which probably looks bad at the inquest should fire or death break out!

You'll never get permission to remove a fuse, even during emergency I've been told to wait until a man arrives, but the lads themselves are much more reasonable. I've cut seals before when the DNO are to busy to come out in time and I just call them after to reseal. If I have to cut I always put a seal back, a good metal one and not the plastic rubbish.

that's how i was trying to explain how we always used to do it. once the tails were out. it was easy to bang into a henley. too awkward to bend live tails into a CU

I think feeling confident working on live cables, whether just moving them from one connection to another, or having to cut or trim using insulated tools shows the difference between someone with proper training and experience and the rest of the so called.

Why do people bother buying insulated tools if they are never going to work on live cables.

no one can prove the seals were intact before you did the work....so if anyone says owt (unlikely)...then just dont say owt back...caus i will tell you now i definately WONT wont live unless its unavoidable....so if i cant isolate them tails any other way....that bullit gets pulled simple as....and sod the DNO n all....their a law unto themselves anyway....

and i`ll say this n all......if theres evidence of recent work done near the head (C/U change).....chances are they will just reseal the head....its if there HASN`T been any recent work done that their more likely to suspect a bit of hocus-pocus has been goin on...

We all are aware of the legality of with drawing the main dno fuse and yes it gets done with no consequence as its hard for the dno to form a case when you just say the seals were already broken and i never withdrew it.
SMART METERS..... these log time and date any power downs and give the dno a case to bring to court now as the owner of the installation faces legal action if they cannot explain a broken seal and why the meter lost power when there was no external supply issues..... any owner will gladly pass on the sparkies no# to avoid legal action themselves.

I already know this is happening as i heard dno had called a home owner to report that her meter had been disconnected according to their computer and wanted to know why..... they said they had an electrician in and hes just put a new board in for me ...details forwarded but not sure what happened to electrician.

probably nowt....as he can/should be able to prove competance.....this is a nice little earner for the DNO....as long as the status quo is maintained that is...nice to see that a few DNOs have at long last seen the light......wonder if it`l be `follow my leader` and the others decide to do the same.....

I was told some time ago by the guy fitting an isolator for me, that if you have to pull a fuse due to the fuseboard being in a dangerous condition, then do so and let them know so that they can come and re-seal.
If you cut the meter seal, then they will be suspicious.
Something really does need sorting out....

probably nowt....as he can/should be able to prove competance.....this is a nice little earner for the DNO....as long as the status quo is maintained that is...nice to see that a few DNOs have at long last seen the light......wonder if it`l be `follow my leader` and the others decide to do the same.....
Its not competence they are after its the fact its their property and you tampered with it they have a law on their side and their attitude to chasing up these issues is changing, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered ringing the customer up, as to what the consequences are i assume a hefty fine to deter future re-occurence, when their seals are broken it effectively leaves them exposed to energy theft whether this occurs or not is a different matter, the seal is their padlock to their product simply removing it gives them an uphill battle as to when and who, but if power is lost to meter then the new meter gives them the time and date, and if house owner can't give a reason they face a fine themselves.
The industry as got too complacent as nothing ever occured when they did it, it is changing now and unless sparkies rethink the situe then over the next 5-10 years alot will get caught out and face i assume a financial penalty at the least if not suspected of anything more than just accessing for tail change or power down.
Not only this but the dno fuses especially in the older heads often collapse in the hand and i know very few sparkies bother with correct PPE to just pull a fuse.

Its not competence they are after its the fact its their property and you tampered with it they have a law on their side and their attitude to chasing up these issues is changing, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered ringing the customer up, as to what the consequences are i assume a hefty fine to deter future re-occurence, when their seals are broken it effectively leaves them exposed to energy theft whether this occurs or not is a different matter, the seal is their padlock to their product simply removing it gives them an uphill battle as to when and who, but if power is lost to meter then the new meter gives them the time and date, and if house owner can't give a reason they face a fine themselves.
The industry as got too complacent as nothing ever occured when they did it, it is changing now and unless sparkies rethink the situe then over the next 5-10 years alot will get caught out and face i assume a financial penalty at the least if not suspected of anything more than just accessing for tail change or power down.
Not only this but the dno fuses especially in the older heads often collapse in the hand and i know very few sparkies bother with correct PPE to just pull a fuse.
i saw some plastic pliers a while back...think it was ebay...i cant remember....what i do remember is they looked pretty hefty...just right for grabbing the carrier....and yes...we all know about the PPE side of things...face visor...appropriate footware...rubber gauntlets......i know about the new smart meters n all....see as energy firms ( a license to print cash)...continue to fleece and rob.....so they become ever more paranoid that someone will just do it back to them.....and anyone that thinks the price hikes are just about `improving the infastructure/logistics`..or another favourite they wheel out is `its because we have to cover theft/damage costs`...anyone who believes that old load of tosh is a gullible fool......its greed...pure and simple....thats all it is....

none of this would be necessary if DNo could be bothered to get up off their corporate arses, attend a site at 8.30am on a pre-booked date ( with a few days notice)to disconnect and return to reconnect at 5.00pm on the same day. and i've just had to duck.....; a bloody great pink pig just flew past my window.

none of this would be necessary if DNo could be bothered to get up off their corporate arses, attend a site at 8.30am on a pre-booked date ( with a few days notice)to disconnect and return to reconnect at 5.00pm on the same day. and i've just had to duck.....; a bloody great pink pig just flew past my window.
yep exactly Tel....i think though if some DNOs have found a way.....its a case for others to follow suit....now, this can also be used as a `meter` of sorts...to see who the unreasonable DNOs are....as these will be the ones that drag their feet over it all.....until they have found a way to cash in on it that is....so electricians end up paying the DNO....to do the work of the DNO...lolffs...

If the DNO wanted to ensure that their equipment was not tampered with then I am sure there are many ways that they could make it near impossible or if they couldn't do that then they could install some sort of tamper alarm that could only be reset by them.

If the DNO wanted to ensure that their equipment was not tampered with then I am sure there are many ways that they could make it near impossible or if they couldn't do that then they could install some sort of tamper alarm that could only be reset by them.
might be an intrusion too far though into someone elses property though....i know for a start that i certainly would not appreciate some sort of `tamper alarm` being installed in my house..DNO property or not its still in MY house....anyway, such a thing goes against our society in general...like assuming guilt (which such a device is)..last time i looked it was upto the accuser to prove guilt...beyond any reasonable doubt....so a
`tamper alarm` is just another little step down the winding road to the police state....where surveillance and spying is the norm.....besides....i think `smart meters (smart for who?)..smart meters` have already gone a long way to acheaving this.....god, what next?...

If the DNO dont supply a means of isolation then pulling the fuse is the only way, with the introduction of smart meters it was there chance to put things right and install an isolator. They haven't so the electrician has no choice!!! It maybe there equipment but the tails belong to the consumer & electricians should not be working live, therefore the fuse is pulled for safe isolation. I would like to see them try & fine a spark, it would just not stand up in court. There is no clear procedure for a spark to follow, until this is implemented the fuse will continue to be pulled.

I have to say that I don't pull fuses, I always either get an isolator fitted or get the supplier out to disconnect.
All that said, I am coming to the end of my tether now. It takes weeks to get the supplier to come out, so scheduling work is a nightmare. Add to that the fact that while Eon do it all for free as part of the service, BG are charging a fee for removing a fuse, then a fee to come and put it back in and reseal it!! They also charge for an isolator.
I know that I keep banging on about this, but the suppliers need to get their act together.... If they want to be fully responsible for disconnection/reconnection, then they need a hotline for electricians so that this can be done at short notice, with either no, or a minimal charge. If they don't want to offer this kind of professional service, then they need to allow registered sparks to carry out fuse removal and resealing in the way SSE do.

I have to say that I don't pull fuses, I always either get an isolator fitted or get the supplier out to disconnect.
All that said, I am coming to the end of my tether now. It takes weeks to get the supplier to come out, so scheduling work is a nightmare. Add to that the fact that while Eon do it all for free as part of the service, BG are charging a fee for removing a fuse, then a fee to come and put it back in and reseal it!! They also charge for an isolator.
I know that I keep banging on about this, but the suppliers need to get their act together.... If they want to be fully responsible for disconnection/reconnection, then they need a hotline for electricians so that this can be done at short notice, with either no, or a minimal charge. If they don't want to offer this kind of professional service, then they need to allow registered sparks to carry out fuse removal and resealing in the way SSE do.
BUT THEY WONT guitarist......see as far as they are concerned...the system aint broke is it....there they are...getting money for work that any competent electrician can do....they can charge what they want (no rules there)...turn up when they like (hmm, no rules there either).....and the cash keeps flowing.....seems to me that all`s rosy in the DNO garden of eden....

BUT THEY WONT guitarist......see as far as they are concerned...the system aint broke is it....there they are...getting money for work that any competent electrician can do....they can charge what they want (no rules there)...turn up when they like (hmm, no rules there either).....and the cash keeps flowing.....seems to me that all`s rosy in the DNO garden of eden....

Sadly..... I have to agree with you mate. Why would they ruin a good thing.....

Reply to removal of main cutout fuse! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock