Discuss Replacement shower cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just done 80% rewire in house where 12m of 6mm t/e shower cable replaced with 10mm t/e to allow upgrade of shower which has already been done prior.
However, due to other extensive work in house it was simple to replace all cable from consumer unit to shower pull switch but the cable from pull switch to shower unit is approx 1m down a newly tiled stud wall and is still coppper 6mm t/e.
Question is - will that 1m of 6mm t/e still mean shower can only be upto 7.6kw if wall insulated and 8.7kw if not insulated.

In theory the entire circuit should be rated for the 6mm section, on the other hand the regs have a get-out clause for cable calcs along the lines of "dependent on the electricians judgement and experience", so if your load is only slightly over what the 6mm can "officially" take, you might "get away with it". Judgement call on your (or another electrician's) part!

32A MCB if 6mm is in insulated wall. 40A if ref. method C. 8.5kW will be fine.

can be fitted with the aid of.............

314YKHGYZ9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've used a Bosch PMF180E with the diamond blade to remove the grout between the tiles, pulled them off and replace with new after needing to do a similar job. But I had spare matching tiles to hand. Might be an option if the 6mm really won't do.

Reply to Replacement shower cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
This could possible have been a poll, but really just opening up for suggestions and feedback on where folks think an isolation switch for an...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Ive been in and out of a huge house rewiring as the renovate it for a year of so. Every is thing done and dusted except the downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hi, Same project as detailed in my other post (I want to run shower cables to the CU whilst the kitchen ceiling is disturbed). I'm going to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Im quoting to install an EV charger (Dont worry - fully registered, but only been 2 weeks so i'm still picking bits up). Consumer unit...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock