Discuss Reposition water service earth bond. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Had the plumber in today and have come across a problem with my stopcock. It basically won't close, stays open so he was going to replace it. As it's in a very awkward place he suggested repositioning it to a better place that's more accessible, ie underneath the sink. Now there's a 10mm earth on the consumer side which is fine but if this stopcock is to be done away with & repositioned, will the 10mm earth need to also be repositioned so it's on the consumer side of the new stopcock or is it fine to leave it where it is?

if the stopcock is otherwise OK, apart from not closing, why not leave it in and fit a second one after it? sounds a much simpler job and the bonding can stay as is.

Do they intend to use plastic pipework or plastic stopcock or will it all be copper and brass? If plastic you may need to reassess what items in the bathrooms require bonding.

Where's Cockburn when you need him? ;)

Had the plumber in today and have come across a problem with my stopcock. It basically won't close, stays open so he was going to replace it. As it's in a very awkward place he suggested repositioning it to a better place that's more accessible, ie underneath the sink. Now there's a 10mm earth on the consumer side which is fine but if this stopcock is to be done away with & repositioned, will the 10mm earth need to also be repositioned so it's on the consumer side of the new stopcock or is it fine to leave it where it is?

So this seized open stopcock is going to be abandoned and a new one fitted a bit further downstream??

There's nothing wrong with that and I've done it myself. Why not just leave your bond where it is and if anybody wants to argue the ---- tell them that one is the main stopcock and the one under the sink is a secondary one.

So this seized open stopcock is going to be abandoned and a new one fitted a bit further downstream??

There's nothing wrong with that and I've done it myself. Why not just leave your bond where it is and if anybody wants to argue the ---- tell them that one is the main stopcock and the one under the sink is a secondary one.

Original is that G

if the stopcock is otherwise OK, apart from not closing, why not leave it in and fit a second one after it? sounds a much simpler job and the bonding can stay as is.

Yes that's what the plumber has done. It's all copper from the old stopcock to the new one so bonding will be ok to leave.

Do they intend to use plastic pipework or plastic stopcock or will it all be copper and brass? If plastic you may need to reassess what items in the bathrooms require bonding.

Where's Cockburn when you need him? ;)

Copper. Just going to leave current one in.

Could you move the bonding cable to where the new isolator is going to be?

Would have to be rewired.

Looks like this shall be the plan.

Thanks for your help folks.

The regulations state that MEB connection to water service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry.

There is NO mention of stopcocks.

It is very simple.

never heard of it.though dysentry was a US soap with that slapper collins.

Reply to Reposition water service earth bond. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net