Discuss Rewiring a small chandelier in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gerry24

I've been asked to replace a standard overhead ceiling lamp with an old chandelier. It weighs about 8kg so think I will be OK hanging it from a noggin attached to joists. It only has 2 lamp holders (brass bayonet with earth screw) but the wiring looks pretty tired so I said I would only fit it if I rewired it. But, I haven't ever rewired one before. So here's what I'm thinking. Replace existing brass lampholders with new ones with earth screw. Rewire in 0.75mm 3 core with gold pvc sleeving. Attach cpc to earth screw on lampholder and line and neutral to pin terminals as normal. Run both cables up to junction box in ceiling. Fit two 20W CFLs.

Any views?

I have wired these before and I wire each branch individually connect them up at the bottom plate and then run 3c flex to the rose plate . there is a klick rose for chandeliers - forget the name though

Job done as I detailed below. Only issue I had was that I couldn't get 2 thicknesses of 3 core through the main chandelier support structure so I had to join them before getting to the rose plate. Just used crimp connectors so didn't look too bulky. The customer was delighted as the sparks that had done the other work in the house for her (garage conversion into a wetroom) refused to do the chandelier for her. Don't know why. Pretty straightforward job once you got onto it.

Reply to Rewiring a small chandelier in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I am currently learning and have come across PAT testing an old chandelier. On modern lamps I would use the plug and probe on the...
Replies
Views
I have been asked to rewire an antique metal standard lamp. It has been rewired previously, but not earthed..! One of the screws on the base has a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got an antique light fitting that for some reason she wants putting up (can't say I love it haha) however it didn't come with any...
Replies
Views
A friend of the family recently lost her husband to the big C so I need to be careful. Every small thing is sending her into tears so when her...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m a DIYer I am trying to replace an outside PIR lamp which is connected to an internal fused switch in the hall. Removing the cover of the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock