Discuss right thing re cooker and hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Went to a job yesturday.

6.6kw 4 ring hob and 4.2kw cooker were both supplied on same 6mm on 32a breaker!! Both still using the 1mm flex pre-wired to them.

Running in another 6mm was not really a option as tenant didnt want trunking!

So kept the original 6mm and put that into supply side of 45a 2g cooker switch and a new bit of 6mm from load side to ccu, then ugraded the 1mm pre-wire to a 6mm from ccu to the hob.

Then as the 1.5mm pre-wired flex couldnt be disconnected from the cooker and there was no way a 6mm would even get in the small hole of the cooker, i left the cooker on a 13a plug and spurred off of ring with a 13a sw fused spur above work top and a single socket below for cooker to plug into to.

I know the cooker can pull u to 18a, but with diversity taken into account all the above is ok right?

Cheers

Went to a job yesturday.

6.6kw 4 ring hob and 4.2kw cooker were both supplied on same 6mm on 32a breaker!! Both still using the 1mm flex pre-wired to them.

So kept the original 6mm and put that into supply side of 45a 2g cooker switch and a new bit of 6mm from load side to ccu, then ugraded the 1mm pre-wire to a 6mm from ccu to the hob.

Then as the 1.5mm pre-wired flex couldnt be disconnected from the cooker and there was no way a 6mm would even get in the small hole of the cooker, i left the cooker on a 13a plug and spurred off of ring with a 13a sw fused spur above work top and a single socket below for cooker to plug into to.

I know the cooker can pull u to 18a, but with diversity taken into account all the above is ok right?

Cheers

Just one word, ....Unbelievable!!

Yes cooker should be on its own citcuit, but it was not a option clearly stated by the tenant.

The hob pulls more than the cooker, so it seemed logic to keep that on the 32a supplied with a 6mm.

The cooker only pulls 18a at full go...apply diversity.....and a fused down single socket is fine no?

Re the small flex that comes wired to the cooker, it is fixed, can not be disc and replaced with a larger cable!

So explain your unhelpful replies!

should have wired both on the 6mm circuit rather than coming off the rfc for the oven. together they'll never pull more than 32A.

To the OP. Why do you think its right that you would need to change the pre-wired flex that came with the cooker from the manufactures?

I had a similar thing this week, 7kW hob and 5.4kW oven on a 32A 6mm circuit. Diversity on cooking appliances is 10A +30% of the remainder. That leaves about 1A to play with, but it's within the regs, and safely limited. The customer got what they wanted and know it'll trip if they get carried away. They'd rather that than a new circuit went in, and it was Friday afternoon, so I was happy too.

Osg mentions that in a domestic installation a cooker up to 15kw can be connected to a 6mm 32A standard cooker circuit. Agree with the flex should of been upgraded and oven left on cooker circuit.

I had a similar thing this week, 7kW hob and 5.4kW oven on a 32A 6mm circuit. Diversity on cooking appliances is 10A +30% of the remainder. That leaves about 1A to play with, but it's within the regs, and safely limited. The customer got what they wanted and know it'll trip if they get carried away. They'd rather that than a new circuit went in, and it was Friday afternoon, so I was happy too.

Seeing as 6mm cable sitting on a 30/32A MCB, will comfortably look after a 15KW cooker load!! I would say they have nothing at all to worry about!!

Osg mentions that in a domestic installation a cooker up to 15kw can be connected to a 6mm 32A standard cooker circuit. Agree with the flex should of been upgraded and oven left on cooker circuit.

I think hes talking about the flex that comes with the oven when you buy it and they are designed to be plugged in, I don't see why this needs to be upgraded as it is designed and sold like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to a job yesturday.

Cheers

that all sounds fine to me didn't really need to fuse it down

Last edited:
The flex that comes with the appliance is the manufacturers call. If you change it, it becomes your call. When that appliance goes phutt bang, and they want to have it replaced/repaired under warranty, guess what'll happen next? I know what you mean, sometimes that flex does not look right at all.

Went to a job yesturday.

Cheers
Beings as the oven and the hob came pre wired with flex do you not think that the manufacturers know that the flex they've chosen is adequate for the loads of each appliance? One would assume they didn't just use up what they had kicking about in the factory! Why would you think you know better than them? Then you have spurred off the ring for the oven when all that was needed is as has been mentioned above, a dual connection unit from the already installed cooker circuit! Instead now you've put extra loading on the kitchen ring and cost the customer more money than was needed!

Hi Joe
Don't get too upset. You asked for opinions. They are just a bit more critical than you expected.

Keep in mind that the current capacity of a cable is down to the temperature that it's going to run at at full load. The flex is certainly high temp (90c ?) whereas your T&E is 70c.

Laurie

Well your damned if you do and your damned if you dont. Another example of we must follow manufacturers guidlines. In this case they come with a 1.5 mm flex, we do the calcs and not happy do we change. Then if something bursts into flames, you know they will say why change the flex. Very similar case a while back about manufacturers guidlines about fans being 3A fused. We certainly have this grey area, and hence the amount of oppinion posted here.

Going to track this see how the majority see it.

ATB

Reply to right thing re cooker and hob in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net