Discuss ring design and voltage drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi lenny, im with i = p/u. Can we see you full calc
Cheers

Ok, VD will limit the length of your RFC before any other factor. So if we use our max permitted VD of 11.5V in our calc for finding the max permissable length we 'should' arrive at a value within the 5% tolerance.

So (4 x 11.5 x 1000)/(Ib x mV/A/M x Ct) = max permissable length.

= (4 x 11.5 1000)/(26 x 18 x 1) = 98.29M.

As I said it can be engineered further to give a longer length but I personally use the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for your help spinlondon, things are getting clearer. Have always taken appendix 15 as is, with no explanation of the design behind these circuits. Radial are fine, the ring threw me, so thanks for your help in this matter
esc

nice sums malcom, but can you say lets say you have values for r1 r2 rn... if you designing or longest possible
That is how I work out the length and volt drop in a Ring.

Length

2.5mm T&E ring.
1 conductor 2.5mm CSA @ 7.41mohm/m
1 conductor 1.5mm CSA @ 12.10mohm/m
{from page 166 OSG}

so if you have a measured value of say

r1 @ 0.58/7.41 x 1000 = 78.27m
rn @ 0.58/7.41 x 1000 = 78.27m
r2 @ 0.96/12.10 x 1000 = 79.33m

Volt Drop

Divide the length by 4 = 19.57 x 18 x 26/ 1000 = 9.16v

Bs 7671 pg 258, 6.1 correction for operating temp.

This calculation give you a ct of .923, x 9.16 = 8.45v

or

4 x 8.45v x 1000/26/18 = 72.22 / .923 = 78.24m

It assumes 20 amp at the furthest point and 12 amp distributed evenly around the ring so,

average = (32 + 20)/2 = 26 which is the value that Lenny posted.

Reply to ring design and voltage drop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net