Discuss Roller shutter door switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi just a quick question.......I have a switch which is being used for a roller shutter door, it simply has 1 wire for common and 1 each for up and down. I belled out between common and both directions to check it was working fine which it was, so it is working how it should.........it might come across as a silly queston, but if it is working fine when I bell out dead it should work fine when it has power going through it? The reason I ask is another electrician had been and looked at the job and has said the switch is faulty, I didn't get a chance to power it up (which they had done) as it was too late in the evening to do so. I'm sorry if I haven't explained it well but just wanted to know if putting power thru the switch could have an effect on it? Cheers

What voltage is going through the switch?
If I was you I would power up the system and put a link across the 'common' (which I presume is the live feed) and either the 'up' or 'down' wires and see if it works. If it does then the switch is faulty.

Not recommended if you are not a fully qualified electrician.

Yeah I'm fully qualified, normally do electric gates and traffic barriers etc, but roller shutter doors work on the same principle, common/live and 2 directional outputs. And why would linking out the live and up or down make it faulty if it worked.......surely your just closing the switch contact so it would be working as it should?

- - - Updated - - -

And it's 230v going through the switch

Sorry mate. Are you saying that you have belled out the switch and everything is ok with it? I always mis-read posts. :)
If that is the case I would power up the system and just follow through the circuit, cheching you have power at each point. I take it the switch is wired to two contactors (one for up and one for down)? Have you checked to see if they work?

Yeah sorry the switch belled out fine but I didn't get a chance to power up and trace for power etc along the circuit! I couldn't see the motor as it had panelling up which we didn't hae the time or access to take down, there was a 3 core cable that ran up with the 4 core motor cable this may have went to contactors? I thot it would just go straight to the motor thru the switch, there was 2 smaller roller doors not far from this one and they just went direct to the motor, and were wired up as I would have wired up the one I was looking at?

Roller shutters are normally fitted with limits. They can jamb.

roller_zps8329d0f1.jpg

The dotted lines are for latching circuits.

Isolate supply disconnect switch test with continuity on switch when you activate switch no continuity faulty switch simples

saying that I work on shutters day in day out and I can tell you that the motor will more than likely go before the switch when the shutter is in the closed or open position 1 of the limits will be open circuit so test the motor in mid position if its got a hand wind wind it to mid point

could be a motor winding down limit switch jammed also just for your info tube op motors also have a thermal link on the neutral I've found these to be the fault either way its new motor time

What type of contacts are they.............hold down? Because there's a good chance (if you have no contactor panel) the motor will have two pins (push in/pull out) for limit switch settings on it too. Obvs if you have a contactor it might be a good idea to get a pneumatic switch on the bottom of the door to break the circuit when the door is fully down.

Reply to Roller shutter door switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net