Discuss Safe zone? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

glen.mason

In the New Year I'm re-wiring an empty 3rd floor apartment. Now this has concrete floors and ceilings and very decorative ceiling coving to all rooms that have 'not to be disturbed'. A good solution for new cable runs would be behind the skirting boards and door architraves. This isn't mentioned as a safe zone in the Guide but is there a reason why I can't do this? Am I missing something obvious as to why I cant? The CU, obviously, will be dual RCd 17th Edition.

If the depth is less than 50mm, then you will need to use a cable with an earthed sheath, earthed conduit or trunking or provide mechanical protection.
Using an RCD isn't an option unless you consider it provides the same degree of safety as would be provided by compliance with BS7671, in which case you would have to note it as a departure.

I would imagine that another potential problem will be chippies banging big nails through your cables whilst fitting the skirting etc, unless you tell them to use alternative methods of fixing.

In the New Year I'm re-wiring an empty 3rd floor apartment. Now this has concrete floors and ceilings and very decorative ceiling coving to all rooms that have 'not to be disturbed'. A good solution for new cable runs would be behind the skirting boards and door architraves. This isn't mentioned as a safe zone in the Guide but is there a reason why I can't do this? Am I missing something obvious as to why I cant? The CU, obviously, will be dual RCd 17th Edition.

with rcd protection you can run in safe zones or horizontally/vertically direct to accessories or CU (OSG page 60)

In the New Year I'm re-wiring an empty 3rd floor apartment. Now this has concrete floors and ceilings and very decorative ceiling coving to all rooms that have 'not to be disturbed'. A good solution for new cable runs would be behind the skirting boards and door architraves. This isn't mentioned as a safe zone in the Guide but is there a reason why I can't do this? Am I missing something obvious as to why I cant?As previously stated unless you use a wiring system with an earthed outer sheath it wont comply.Stick to the safe zones. The CU, obviously, will be dual RCd 17th Edition.

If the skirtings are coming off,then fit some conduit behind them

The chances are, a lot of covings may have a gap at the top which you could use
Given that there are concrete ceilings and the coving has to be untouched
How do you intend getting to the lights,is there existing conduit?

In my eyes way to risky one way you could do it would be to use some skirting trunking ,and architraves i think its manufactured by MK but may be mistaken

in a building like that, isnt the wiring run in steel conduit, further investigation may uncover some junction boxes that that conduit runs to. possibly in the airing cupboard etc once they are found, its just a matter of pulling through using existing wiring and single strand cable

Reply to Safe zone? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net