Discuss signing off of work!!!?? PLEASE HELP in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kitchen fitters can actually get themselves limited-scope Part P anyway, just like the Gas Safe guys, so it says a lot about exactly how cow-boy some people can really be.

I think one of the main points is the general public. They are still unaware of the need for a Part P registered electrician to complete nearly all works. I am so fed up with "qualified electrician" on literature and vans where I live. This means nothing but to the general householder, they are led to believe that they are having work carried out legitimately. Because they have no fees to pay, they can also charge less & undercut us legitimate businesses ( I am an approved contractor BTW). I am sure this topic has been discussed a million times but I am a newbie so sorry for rattling on! Can you tell this a sore point?:evil2:

Sorry to bring this all up again, but I need to find out how you go about completing second fix, and testing and certification of a property, when another part p registered spark has done the first fix?

I have said that I will not sign off for his work, but how in reality do you get around that? Get a signature from him for design and installation, along with my signature for the installation and testing?

Any help much appreciated.

Sorry to bring this all up again, but I need to find out how you go about completing second fix, and testing and certification of a property, when another part p registered spark has done the first fix?

I have said that I will not sign off for his work, but how in reality do you get around that? Get a signature from him for design and installation, along with my signature for the installation and testing?

Any help much appreciated.

Why isn't the chap who did the first fix not doing the second fix??????????

Can you sign off your own work if you are 2391 qualified? For example, I am going to wire my loft conversion in the next couple of days so it would save me a lot of money if I could fill out the relevant paperwork myself!

If not will a Part P sparky do?

You can only sign off your own work if you are competent. The argument will rage on forever about what this means, so will not get into it. However you need to be able to be sure that the work you are doing would stand up to legal scrutiny if it came to that. If, as you have here, presumably, new circuits then you need to inform building control or use a part P scheme registered electrician.

Can you sign off your own work if you are 2391 qualified? For example, I am going to wire my loft conversion in the next couple of days so it would save me a lot of money if I could fill out the relevant paperwork myself!

If not will a Part P sparky do?
You can issue an Installation Certificate but you will still need to notify Building Control.
This can be by either pre-notification and payment of the appropriate fee, or by employing a Part P registered Electrician who will be able to self certificate Part P compliance.

So would I have to notify building control before I wire it as I'm not part P or will the fact that a Part P tester will (hopefully) sign it off for me cover me?

I'm not used to this as I've spent my career working for firms that deal with this stuff!

Last edited:
Any suggestions as to what to do if I have already first fixed the extension? It'll be 2nd fixed in a week or so, would I have to notify building control that I've wired it or is it ok if I get a Part P NAPIT guy in at the end to test and sign off and he notify building control?
If you can find someone NAPIT/NICEIC/ELECSA registered who is prepared to do that then you'll have complied. If not you should contact your LABC right away mate

Remember though it's not the certification that's the important bit. It's the notification.
The normal way for LABC is you pay the fee, tell them when the work is starting (usually 48 hours notice is needed) they'll send a building control officer round to inspect your first fix. After that you crack on 2nd fixing testing and commissioning, you then send them a copy of your test results then assuming everything is acceptable they will issue a certificate and everyone is happy.
At least that's how it works round my neck of the woods

Any registered domestic installer who signs off other persons work risks losing his license and possible prosecution. Get qualified and registered yourself or STOP doing the work you are robbing all the legal guys out there

What License ??? Who will take it from him?? There In lies the Part PEE Problem No proactive policing you get assesed once a year then BINGO no policing except those who claim to be scheme members fraudulantly

Reply to signing off of work!!!?? PLEASE HELP in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net