Discuss single core in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tweegs

I've been asked to wire a shed the customer said that he has got the cable when I looked at the cable it was single core like pme cable I guess the neutral and earth are both in the armoured sheath has anyone used this cable before?

It could be concentric or split concentric. Neither can be directly buried. Concentric you can’t use at all for domestic systems.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, find an electrician that does.

Click HERE

splitconsentric2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
split con has seperate insulated neutral cores for tn-s
con just has bare outer cores for tn-c-s.

as both types still require rcd protection , they have rather limited use for sub-mains or exterior circuits.

There is a large electrical contracting company in my area that uses split concentric cable for sub - main cable between the DNO's OMB and consumer units when distance is more than 3 mtrs. They have been doing it for years. Easier to install than SWA cable.

There is a large electrical contracting company in my area that uses split concentric cable for sub - main cable between the DNO's OMB and consumer units when distance is more than 3 mtrs. They have been doing it for years. Easier to install than SWA cable.

Are the DNO happy with this? I only ask as EDF specify 25mm SWA?

Id consider its use in dedicated risers for flats, tied to tray. Risers in flats are very rarely disturbed, so there's almost no chance of damage.
There's not many other places I'd use split con.

johnboy6083;787181[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
]Id consider its use in dedicated risers for flats,[/COLOR] tied to tray. Risers in flats are very rarely disturbed, so there's almost no chance of damage.
There's not many other places I'd use split con.
probably caus thats where its often used.....

split con has seperate insulated neutral cores for tn-s
con just has bare outer cores for tn-c-s.

as both types still require rcd protection , they have rather limited use for sub-mains or exterior circuits.

Biff. plain concentric can NOT be used after the DNO cutout!Under any circumstances!

Split concentric on the other hand can be when the proper regard to protection is observed.

Biff. plain concentric can NOT be used after the DNO cutout!Under any circumstances!

Split concentric on the other hand can be when the proper regard to protection is observed.
well i would`v thought this was common sense Tony as well....
i mean is TN-C allowed in the UK for consumer install?....er..NO!!

I've been asked to wire a shed the customer said that he has got the cable when I looked at the cable it was single core like pme cable I guess the neutral and earth are both in the armoured sheath has anyone used this cable before?

There is no armouring on this cable, the concentric wires are the actual neutral and earth conductors. This cable is fine for the DNO's as the terminations and spreading of the conductors are hidden within the cut-out. It's a different matter for termination into standard electrical components (CU's/DB's and the like), and unless you know what your doing, can very easily end up looking like an amateurish pigs ear of a job!! The best and easiest solution is using a 3 leg heat shrink breakout and heat shrink tubing for the gathered concentric conductors.

The only way i would ever use this type of cable for underground installations, is within a heavy duty (thick walled) PVC duct, buried at a suitable depth. Which by the sounds of it, is what your going to have to do, if your going to use the customers cable!! Never install this type of cable in a direct buried situation.... Apart from anything else, it won't conform to the requirements BS7671...

There is no armouring on this cable, the concentric wires are the actual neutral and earth conductors. This cable is fine for the DNO's as the terminations and spreading of the conductors are hidden within the cut-out. It's a different matter for termination into standard electrical components (CU's/DB's and the like), and unless you know what your doing, can very easily end up looking like an amateurish pigs ear of a job!! The best and easiest solution is using a 3 leg heat shrink breakout and heat shrink tubing for the gathered concentric conductors.

The only way i would ever use this type of cable for underground installations, is within a heavy duty (thick walled) PVC duct, buried at a suitable depth. Which by the sounds of it, is what your going to have to do, if your going to use the customers cable!! Never install this type of cable in a direct buried situation.... Apart from anything else, it won't conform to the requirements BS7671...
and i`v heard of this going on in the past eng....this type of cable buried direct....
as I have already pointed out its commonly used in ducted risers (for flats and the like) ...but i`v heard of it being substituted for SWA....in a completely impractial and non-compliant fashion...

Reply to single core in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net