• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Single Pole 3 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

damgyeah

DIY
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace old 3 gang light switch to new smart light switch.
It's single pole with one breaker (switch board).

Smart switch requires 4 wires (black, red, green and white)
but my old switch only have 3 wires (black, black and green)

Single Pole 3 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Help cats - EletriciansForums.net

I connected black(top) to red(line) and black(bottom) to Black(load).
There are 4 white(neutral) wires, but I only have 3 lights...
I think the middle wire nut is traveler wire, but I'm not sure.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
The whites need connecting to the neutral wire nut. How many wires are in the middle wire nut, the black wires.

The whites need connecting to the neutral wire nut. How many wires are in the middle wire nut, the black wires.
First off it needs just 3 terminals on a 3 way switch not a 4 way switch which is what you would install in the middle of the 3 way switches at another entrance
[automerge]1582152019[/automerge]
First off it needs just 3 terminals on a 3 way switch not a 4 way switch which is what you would install in the middle of the 3 way switches at another entrance

Each smart switch needs a neutral so tie all 3 of the whites together and that should fix you up
[automerge]1582152113[/automerge]
[automerge]1582152019[/automerge]

Each smart switch needs a neutral so tie all 3 of the whites together and that should fix you up
The red wires should be your travelers

I don't have big enough wire nut or push connector to house all 7 wires but will try once I find one.

Trying to figure out which one is the Line and which is Load since they are all black and only 1 Red is coming out from the wall...

I don't have big enough wire nut or push connector to house all 7 wires but will try once I find one.

Trying to figure out which one is the Line and which is Load since they are all black and only 1 Red is coming out from the wall...
You can use a red wire but or add a white to the 4 whites and then use that to pig tail the whites on the smart switches

Reply to Single Pole 3 Gang Smart Light Switch Wiring Help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back