Discuss Sky and telephone points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Doing a rewire and need to sort a couple of sky points and reroute the BT master point, haven't done it before, few questions I would appreciate some help with.

1) need to run sky cable to 2 points, is rg6 the cable I need?
2) is standard 4 pair telephone cable ok for the bt master point?
3) there is a few bt points in the house, how do I find out what one is the master and how do I extend this to move it to another location? All the cable is to be under the floor so would be looking to join the incoming bt cable and extend it under the floor, so a junction of some sort under the floor as it isn't long enough to reach the position it is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
For sky I normally use WF100 twin. As you only have 2 points to run in both can be taken back to the dish position with either a quattro or quad LNB. Quattro LNB's don't fit on to a mini dish (the oval one) but quad LNB's do.

The BT could be extended using gel crimps and an enclosure under the floor even though I don't think BT would like you doing that but sod them lol.

you need satellite grade coax, run three to each point for a return or to loop sky around the system. You could disconnect all the bt points and then check which one bells out 50v. Just jelly crimp out the bt or run a new cable one outside. If the lazy Bast***s at bt can connect it up im sure you can.

You can normally see where the BT enters the property by looking at the over head lines and seeing where its clipped down the wall or if it comes from underground then you will normally see some kind of cable covering going up the wall from the ground. Genuine BT master points look slightly different with there logo on it.

Cheers guys, got a mate of mine who installs for sky coming to do it tomorrow!

Murdoch, need to move the Master point to where the phone is going to be, it's in another room and customer only wants it put there.

Murdoch, need to move the Master point to where the phone is going to be, it's in another room and customer only wants it put there.

A BT master socket will have a surge arrestor installed in it, a 470k Ω resistor and capacitor to pass the ringing current. The BT drop line will normally be two wires, orange and white but it can vary, a second line is usually green and black but I have seen these used for the primary line as well. The newer NTE boxes, the drop cable connects to two terminals marked A & B. On older boxes it will be punched down to 2 and 5. A secondary socket won't have any additional components installed inside.

For sky I normally use WF100 twin. As you only have 2 points to run in both can be taken back to the dish position with either a quattro or quad LNB. Quattro LNB's don't fit on to a mini dish (the oval one) but quad LNB's do.

A quad and quattro LNB are entirely different bits of kit a quad LNB allows you to connect four receivers / boxes directly to it, a quattro LNB only connects to a multiswitch and is generally used in larger installations

The BT could be extended using gel crimps and an enclosure under the floor even though I don't think BT would like you doing that but sod them lol.

Only when you have a fault and the joint isn't accessible

Does this phone line have broadband on it, if it does I would try to keep the number of joints in the drop wire to a minimum and accessible, it is surprising how much speed / bandwidth is lost with poor telecom's wiring in a property

FYI, Virgin require 1 x CT-100 & Sky needs 2 x CT-100 at each point, but recently bee told by a Sky Engineer that they are going to start feeding 3 x CT-100 for future proofing their new technologies.

This said it'll be down to cost to the customer as to what they want installed etc. Personally I'd always recommend having 1 or 2 RJ45 outlets installed as well to allow for Sky, routers, games consoles etc.

I'd have went the full hog and put points in every bedroom, the couple are in their 80's so only want 1 sky point in main bedroom and phone point and sky point in living room.

There will only be 1 joint in the BT cable and it will be to extend to the telephone point.

Thanks for the replies.

Unless your customers are using old sky boxs there's No sky point needed for multi room any more the new multi room boxs don't have an f connector to connect the dish, only the main box will need connecting to the dish.

Wifi or Ethernet for the multi room boxs, the Main box still needs a twin feed.

Am I correct in thinking that new Sky boxes don't allow a 9 or 12V phantom power output to allow for a magieye? And if so, is the only alternative forking out for multiroom?

The new box doesn't support any magic-eyes or have any rf outputs the best solution if you don't want to pay sky for additional boxes would be to split the hdmi output and use an ir injector.

Reply to Sky and telephone points in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net