Discuss Smart home relays conformity? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Hope someone can advise. Going to be rewiring my house soon and going to be designing it with smart relays for all the lighting circuits. The relays will be in one central location with all lighting circuits ran to the central JB. The electrician inspecting and testing the install was curious about the BS numbers for the relays. I'll be using relays from the European company shelly, the relays only carry EN numbers no bsen numbers? Would the en numbers still potentially qualify for him to sign the install off? Thanks for any advice
(I'm doing the install via the planning office to keep thing legit, been a theatre electrician for 15 yrs)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428_213222_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 9
Out of interest, why are you designing a system using relay controlled radials, rather than a multiple dimmer system? For example (and, I'm going to take you at your word re being a theatre sparks!....) Anytronics make a superb 12ch unit that's ideal for domestic use, multiple control and interface options to most smart tech as well as DMX etc, not in the big scheme of things expensive and from experience by the time you've messed about building stuff, enclosures, electricians time in figuring out and double checking..... cheaper to go with an 'out the box' solution anyway.

Out of interest, why are you designing a system using relay controlled radials, rather than a multiple dimmer system? For example (and, I'm going to take you at your word re being a theatre sparks!....) Anytronics make a superb 12ch unit that's ideal for domestic use, multiple control and interface options to most smart tech as well as DMX etc, not in the big scheme of things expensive and from experience by the time you've messed about building stuff, enclosures, electricians time in figuring out and double checking..... cheaper to go with an 'out the box' solution anyway.
Hi thanks for the reply, not fussed about dimming really but never really considered the the theatre dimming side of things in the house. I was thinking it would be way to expensive, but definitely a different avenue to research. With my current design it wouldn't cost much more than ÂŁ200.
I use Home assistant for all my home automation control, not sure what the dmx integration would be like unless dmx-artnet would work. I'm just used to using zigbee and WiFi relays at home. Have you had experience of using the anytronics kit in a domestic install?

Hi thanks for the reply, not fussed about dimming really but never really considered the the theatre dimming side of things in the house. I was thinking it would be way to expensive, but definitely a different avenue to research. With my current design it wouldn't cost much more than ÂŁ200.
I use Home assistant for all my home automation control, not sure what the dmx integration would be like unless dmx-artnet would work. I'm just used to using zigbee and WiFi relays at home. Have you had experience of using the anytronics kit in a domestic install?
I have, yes. I designed a new-build smart house a few years ago, massive pad, ended up with something like 60+ dimmer chans and a multitude of scenes, even had some midi triggers from the audio system (not my thing, but what customer wants, they get....) worked really well.

Just a suggestion - if you're looking at a budget around that area, wouldn't Philips Hue be easier and possibly cheaper??

I have, yes. I designed a new-build smart house a few years ago, massive pad, ended up with something like 60+ dimmer chans and a multitude of scenes, even had some midi triggers from the audio system (not my thing, but what customer wants, they get....) worked really well.

Just a suggestion - if you're looking at a budget around that area, wouldn't Philips Hue be easier and possibly cheaper??
Yer I have looked I to hue and the various other smart kit like aurora 1 etc, but with the shelly relays I dont have to change any of my light switches as the switch line will just run to the relay. The systems will work with no wifi/Internet connection as the relay will still trigger from the switch press making it wife proof. Things like hue and zigbee lamps the switches obviously need to be kept on (I know you could do a work around with key switch plates and just bypassing the switch in the wall) plus like doing custom setups ? still open to ideas thanks for your advice though!

Reply to Smart home relays conformity? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net