Discuss spur from an fcu ok? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have an fcu feeding a washing machine in the kitchen, is it ok to run a spur from the fcu to feed an external socket on the other side of the wall? I know its notifiable work, i have passed my 2382 and am hoping to get niceic approval in the next month or so. I figure running the spur from the fcu will offer more protection than just running it from the socket? Thoughts??

Down2earth

Hi all,
I have an fcu feeding a washing machine in the kitchen, is it ok to run a spur from the fcu to feed an external socket on the other side of the wall? I know its notifiable work, i have passed my 2382 and am hoping to get niceic approval in the next month or so. I figure running the spur from the fcu will offer more protection than just running it from the socket? Thoughts??

Down2earth

Providing the FCU is on the ringmain then yeah that would be ok, don't spur off the washing m/c socket!

A spur from a spur is not allowed, unless it is fused, and also a good idea to run the new feed in 4mm cablefrom the ring.
Get yoour self a copy of the onsite guide and the big red book :)

A spur from a spur is not allowed, unless it is fused, and also a good idea to run the new feed in 4mm cablefrom the ring.
Get yoour self a copy of the onsite guide and the big red book :)

I have both of the books, what i was checking was that it's OK to run a spur from an FCU that is supplying fixed equipment, looking at the BRB (appendix 15) it would be OK if the FCU is on the ring main (as the previous poster pointed out) but not if its spurred off. I will investigate and see how its set up.

Down2earth

Reply to spur from an fcu ok? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net