Discuss Spur from socket to a FCU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. First post!

I have a socket on a ring which currently is occupied by a plug which operates my boiler. I would like to use this socket for something else.

My idea is to spur off this (I've checked this isn't already a spur) to a 13amp FCU which my boiler would be wired into (no need for plug). Then that frees up the socket. Can anyone see any issues with this?

Also, as I do not want trunking, I was thinking if having both back boxes side by side and drilling 2 holes for a very short length of 2.5mm twin and earth creating the spur. Any issues with this? Is there a minimum distance each socket/fcu need to be apart?

Thanks. M

No problem. As you say, the socket is not already a spur.

you can get a 2+1 gang backboxes, or 1+1, and have the FCU right up against the socket

No problem. As you say, the socket is not already a spur.

you can get a 2+1 gang backboxes, or 1+1, and have the FCU right up against the socket

Thanks, and thanks for the backbox info.

Just a thoight, Do combined socket and FCUs exist? (Don't know what to seach on Google for) That would remove the need for extra cable between. One cable in from ring. And one cable out to boiler? Similar to this you sometimes get in kitchens for oven etc.
M

No, you don’t get combined units like that. But I’m patenting that!

Thanks, and thanks for the backbox info.

Just a thoight, Do combined socket and FCUs exist? (Don't know what to seach on Google for) That would remove the need for extra cable between. One cable in from ring. And one cable out to boiler? Similar to this you sometimes get in kitchens for oven etc.
M
No, you don’t get combined units like that. But I’m patenting that!

You would've thought it'd be possible with grid wiring (not that I've looked for something like that but as you have grids and modules for switches, you'd think someone would've done similar for sockets.

You would've thought it'd be possible with grid wiring (not that I've looked for something like that but as you have grids and modules for switches, you'd think someone would've done similar for sockets.

You can make it up with euromodule plates, but the question was if it was possible without the extra cable between, which you would need with modules.

Reply to Spur from socket to a FCU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net