Discuss Spurs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

Kitchen RFC.

Double socket, spur down to single socket for fridge.

Spur also from same double socket to SFCU for boiler.

So, in effect, 4 cables into back of double socket.

Any reason why not?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
S

Sparky-Tom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thaught that only one spur per double socketwas allowed under the regs? Im assuming its on a ring main and that the room is not bigger than the area specified in the regs?

Not sure of numbers, not got books at home.

Although I am industrial, so im just going off what very little memory I have of the regs back at college many moons ago

scotsparky

-
Arms
so Jason if i get you right there is 4 x 2.5 at the socket terminals? Thought they may be getting a bit tight?

I would think about combining them into the ring if possible.

W

WB Scott

I would split the double socket and add the spurs into the ring.

scotsparky

-
Arms
a12jpm what is done at moment is 2 spurs of 1 double skocket. I and others recon if possible to combine it or at least one spur onto the ring.

M

Mac

Good luck at getting all them 2.5mm in 1 connection:confused:

Kitchen RFC.

Any reason why not?
Can't you extend 1 of the legs and put both spurs on the ring.Shouldn't be a problem then:D

Last edited by a moderator:
dont forget jason was only asking if there was any reason why you couldnt do what had been done
and its 2 seperate cable to 2 seperate points so its ok?
obviously there are better ways listed above

S

Spudnik

Sorry peeps, i let this one run without checking back.

Its existing at the moment.

Just to confirm, its a double socket on a kitchen RFC, which spurs to a boiler SFCU at 3A.

Then the fourth cable (from the same DS), drops down to a single socket behind a freestanding fridge.

Now as Mark said, although not ideal, i really cant see a problem, apart from being a little cramped in the back of the socket. It has a 35mm back box with standard white accessories.

Surely, from a loading point of view, its not a lot different than having two DS next to each other with a spur off of each socket?

I stand to be corrected...again.

sparks1234

-
Arms
Areb you not putting a switch spur in to control the fridge?, if so you could easily adjust to add the switched spur to the ring then spur off for the boiler

S

Spudnik

Areb you not putting a switch spur in to control the fridge?, if so you could easily adjust to add the switched spur to the ring then spur off for the boiler
Nooooooooooooo.

Its a PIR im doing.

What i am describing is already there.

Edit: Just realised i posted in the wrong forum.:rolleyes:

W

WB Scott

Code 2, no immediate danger is there?

S

Spudnik

Code 2, no immediate danger is there?
No there isnt and to be honest, i think the worst it could be would be a 3.

Im still finding it hard to justify even a 3.

C

chugs76

you are only meant to have 1 spur unit for every skt outlet on a ring. anymore and your asking for trouble.

M

Mac

I agree with Jason,in what way are you asking for trouble:D

sparks1234

-
Arms
think you will find no more spurs than sockets on the ring, does it say you cant put 2 of them off one socket rather than 1 off each

A

andekoch

as far as i know the regs dont specifically disallow2 spurs off one socket/ point and from a technial point of view nothing is being compromised, except possibly the connection point due to all the cables in one junction.

from a PIR point of view if there is no evidence of overheating, all the joints are tight and there is no excessive (apparant) strain or tight bends on the cables it does not warrant a particular code. If any of the above is evident then a code 2 is appropriate.

from a best practice point of view I would not do this but would go with one of the other previously mentioned solutions.

M

Mac

think you will find no more spurs than sockets on the ring, does it say you cant put 2 of them off one socket rather than 1 off each
What would you do then.How are you supposed to isolate the boiler and fridge off 1 spur/socket:confused:

S

Spudnik

What would you do then.How are you supposed to isolate the boiler and fridge off 1 spur/socket:confused:
Have you got the right glasses on tonight???:D:D:D

He is saying that you are not allowed more spurs than there are sockets on a RFC.

So, 10 sockets on a RFC, no more than 10 spurs, but it does not say how they are connected.

sparks1234

-
Arms
What I said was that there is nothing to say you can't take 2 spurs off the ring from 1 socket, I said nothing about spurs for isolating fridges etc, if you go further back on the thread you will see I apologised to Jason as I thought he was considering not putting a switch spur in for the fridge.

Kitchen RFC.

Any reason why not?
i cant see any problem with what has been done as long as the terminations look like they are holding up but would probably give it a code 4 to cover my arse as i would be surprised if there is anything in the brb showing this as good practice ;)

i would have thought that the reason why you cant spur two sockets out of one existing socket is because of the loading at the terminals
thats why if you want to put more than one socket/twin socket in a radial off a ring,you have to go from a fused spur to limit it.
:)

Last edited:
grandad if the terminals are tight then they arent carrying the load just holding the connection together
mark
the terminals are part of the conductive circuit and designed and sized to carry a certain load.

think terminal block....you can squeeze 2.5 in a 5amp but you wouldnt use it to join a circuit that could carry 15A....tight or not:)

just playing devils advocate

in a connector there is a chance the block will carry the load because the cables may not touch each other

D

Dave0098

i would say that from what the regs say, a spur per socket, or a fused spur per socket which can have an unlimited number of sockets from it because the fused spur is limiting the sockets to 13Amps.

Dave

S

skirby

The two questions I would ask myself would be

Q1 Is it dangerous? A No
Q2 Does it contravine BS7671? A Not to my knowledge

Jason' s origional question was 'why not?'

So despite the problems that may be involved terminating 4 cables in single terminals, and therefore 'not good practice', I do not know of any reason 'why not'.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to Spurs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom