Discuss Storage Heating or Convector with Oil Filled Radiator Heating??? What would you use? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daspark

Hi there!!!
I have been asked by a person to install a heating system that is fairly cost effective and provides ample heating to a 1 bedroom top floor flat. No gas is available at all.
At the moment there is one storage heater in the flat and FCU's for a further 3 heaters. I don't know where these other 3 have gone. Anyway:
I am not sure whether to install 3 new storage heaters c/w convectors or to install some wall mounted convectors with additional oil fill radiators dotted around certain rooms.
The problem is that the person will be out of the house all day and I'm not sure if they will get the use of the storage heaters. Even with a built in convector heater to top up the rooms, would this defeat the purpose of the storage heaters? In other words, why fit them? Would I be aswell to install seperate convectors, then add in some oil filled? Will the cost of convectors and oil filled being used in the evening really be drasticly more than storage heaters with convectors?
If anyone has a view then let me know.
Cheers

Personally I have both in my flat and find storage heaters are pants. They're great in the morning but the evening they're not worth it.
Personally I like these new slim convection heaters you can buy. Give out good heat, economical and slim.

Re: Storage Heating or Convector with Oil Filled Radiator Heating??? What would you u

I've just installed these in a customers house and they think they are absolutly fantastic. Loads of settings on them to control the temperature in each room seperatley. They look really nice too. They are still waiting for there quarterly bill to compare them to there old starage heating, but they have already said that if they don;t save them much they aren;t bothered because they look so much nicer and they are so much more controlable.
Affordable Electric Heating - Economy Radiators

Re: Storage Heating or Convector with Oil Filled Radiator Heating??? What would you u

Installing 3 of those rads ^^^^ this week, so will see what they're like. Customer supplied so if thy're no good not my fault:p

OK just one thing I take it the storage heater and fcu,s are wired to the off peak supply so combined storage and convector sounds ok but these rad types I take it will have to be wired toa constant supply so the only thing to look for is cost effective between the 2

Thanks for the input.
Yes, the FCU's are on the off peak meter. If the rads are used then yes I will be installing constant feeds to them.
Thanks again.

I had actually looked at the above link last week. Good shout. What was the cost the customer paid for the units? (if you happen to know). How many units?
Does anyone have any other view on them?

Not sure what the prices were, if you click the prices link on the website, enter the room dimensions, they send you a full quote back. I think we went for a larger size in a couple of rooms. The company is good to deal with.

I'd also like to know what other people think to these units as I've only installed these once.

Thanks for the advice. Just filled it in. Let you know how I get on.

Reply to Storage Heating or Convector with Oil Filled Radiator Heating??? What would you use? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net