Discuss Supply calculations for 3 phase motor. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dunc

-
Reaction score
Just need some advice for calculating the size of supply for a 3 phase dust extraction unit. In the past i've worked with 3 phase so understand how to do it but this has always been whilst working for other firms who give you the materials and tell you to get on with it. Now that i'm self employed the buck stops with me so i just want to check that i'm correct with my calculations/assumptions.

The motor in question has this rating plate on it:

motorstartplate-1.jpg

Based on this i understand it's a 7.5kW motor with a power factor of 0.88. So i would you calculate the load per phase as being the following:

7500/(400V*root 3*0.88)=12.3A per phase.

I would then assume that a 16A supply on a C type breaker is necessary and based on a run of no more then 20m to the motor a 4mm SWA would be more then adequate (could get away with 2.5 but the workshop is a bloody long way from the incoming supply so limiting the volt drop as much as possible seems sensible).

Does all of the above add up?

Finally, the extractor unit is outside the workshop with the controller inside, my intention is to fit a lockable rotary isolator beside the controller to allow for safe isolation for mechanical maintenance. Is this the best option or would you consider putting 2 further isolators nearer to the extractor unit (it has 2 motors, the main one for the fan and a smaller one for a filter shaker). My only issue with putting additional isolation outside is that it gives people the scope to mess about with the isolation switches as the unit is in an unsecured area on a farm that is easily accessible.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

That calc sounds fine.

The only other factor that may influence the selection is the motors efficiency but as no info is present on the rating plate I would be happy to go with what you have.

A clearly labelled and lockable isolator remote from the motor is fine, particularly if there is a risk of unwanted interference.

The Puwer 98 regs also have a number of points worth considering in this situation.

and 9/10 for photography skills as well. nice clear pic.

The Puwer 98 regs also have a number of points worth considering in this situation.

The Puwer 98 regs? Just Googled it and it's a new one on me. Any useful material you can point me to that provides some useful details?

and 9/10 for photography skills as well. nice clear pic.

I thought the shading and framing of this photo was particularly good too! ;) I'm finding my new iPhone is surprisingly handy for various bits on site, there's even an app that turns it in to a torch for those moments when a quick inspection in a dark area is required!

One other thing that i forgot to ask was peoples opinions on what to use cable wise to feed the motors. The supply to the motor itself is unlikely to receive any impact however the cable to the main fan motor runs across the top of the unit and will have to swing across to the wall (the unit is sited a couple of feet from the outside wall of the workshop). The cable will have to be self supporting for this bit but i'm also concerned about the impact of rodents with it being on a farm. The top of the unit is already got mouse droppings on it so i'll need some form of protection. Also does anyone know of a good fixing to allow cables to be run across the machine housing without drilling the body work?

The Puwer 98 regs? Just Googled it and it's a new one on me. Any useful material you can point me to that provides some useful details?

I thought the shading and framing of this photo was particularly good too! ;) I'm finding my new iPhone is surprisingly handy for various bits on site, there's even an app that turns it in to a torch for those moments when a quick inspection in a dark area is required!

One other thing that i forgot to ask was peoples opinions on what to use cable wise to feed the motors. The supply to the motor itself is unlikely to receive any impact however the cable to the main fan motor runs across the top of the unit and will have to swing across to the wall (the unit is sited a couple of feet from the outside wall of the workshop). The cable will have to be self supporting for this bit but i'm also concerned about the impact of rodents with it being on a farm. The top of the unit is already got mouse droppings on it so i'll need some form of protection. Also does anyone know of a good fixing to allow cables to be run across the machine housing without drilling the body work?

I'd probably use a Kopex type flexible conduit for mechanical protection and it works perfectly where there is vibration from the motor.

If there is a seam you could use girder clips, if you have enough hang.

I would run it it SWA and bridge the gap with a little piece of tray. Terminate the SWA into a box then use a metal Flexicon if your having rodent issues.

That calc sounds fine.

The only other factor that may influence the selection is the motors efficiency but as no info is present on the rating plate I would be happy to go with what you have.

A clearly labelled and lockable isolator remote from the motor is fine, particularly if there is a risk of unwanted interference.

PF is present on the motor rating plate Len ...Cos 0.88, the same as the OP used in his calc...

Based on this i understand it's a 7.5kW motor with a power factor of 0.88. So i would you calculate the load per phase as being the following:

7500/(400V*root 3*0.88)=12.3A per phase.

I would then assume that a 16A supply on a C type breaker is necessary and based on a run of no more then 20m to the motor a 4mm SWA would be more then adequate (could get away with 2.5 but the workshop is a bloody long way from the incoming supply so limiting the volt drop as much as possible seems sensible).

I would always accommodate the max run current (FLA) as shown on the tag plate which is 14.14 Amps per phase. You can't predict the actual run current unless you know the shaft power required to drive the fan blade/impeller at the 2920rpm. Also the pf and efficiency of the motor varies according to the load it is under. Generally speaking, the higher the load the better the efficiency and the pf.

Makes no difference though, the spec you suggested sounds fine to me. If the 16A slow curve MCB doesn't hold on start you can always fit a 20A instead as long as the run current readings are within limits.

The photo scores a perfect 10 from me as well. :)

Last edited:
Some means of stopping the machine should be provided locally. Failure to do so will lead to legal repercussions the event of an ancient. The fact the machine is accessible is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Supply calculations for 3 phase motor. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net