Discuss Swa install to hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice,
6mm swa allready installed to a hot tub
Client now wants additions and my calcs say the original swa is allready too small.
26a but its120m run, im advising 16mm 2core.

However the swa installed is 4 core so was thinking of doubling cores together to save on time/ costs and putting rod in.

Any thoughts or potential issues with this?

Multicore 90°C Armoured Thermosetting Insulated Cables​

Tables Apply to: H6942XL, H6943XL, H6944XL, H6945XL, Tuff Sheath,

Voltage:230V

Load:5.98kW / 26A

Length:120m

Method of Installation:Direct in ground or in ducting in ground

Cable Size:16mm²

My calculations also indicate 16 mm² for the hot tub alone. Doubling up using the other 2 cores of the 4 core would result in the equivalent of 12mm² at best.
A new cable run is the only option I can see.

Feel bit sorry for bloke and doubt he will pay for upgrade, and im not planning on doing works.
Was just thinking if in theory by doubling the existing cores would improve the current installation.

My calculations also indicate 16 mm² for the hot tub alone. Doubling up using the other 2 cores of the 4 core would result in the equivalent of 12mm² at best.
A new cable run is the only option I can see.

Odd, I get 10mm for the hot tub.

What voltage are you basing your calculation on? The load is stated as 6.5kW 26A which only makes sense if that rating is at 250V.
Based on 250V I get 10mm

But if you adjust the load for a 230V supply (assuming the majority of that load is heating and so resistive) it will be running at 5.5kW and 24A and again I get 10mm as being suitable.

Feel bit sorry for bloke and doubt he will pay for upgrade, and im not planning on doing works.
Was just thinking if in theory by doubling the existing cores would improve the current installation.

Yes doubling up the 4 core will improve the situation, it may not make it perfect but it will improve it.

But does the hot-tub work currently? If it does then it suggests that the volt drop is not currently so excessive that it will cause a functional issue.
Does the hot tub have a minimum supply voltage rating? (rememeber the percentages given in the regs are intended for use when the voltage tolerance of a load is unknown, not necessarily a hard limit for every circuit)

Obviously the fact that something works in its current states doesn't guarantee safety, but it does indicate that the supply may be functionally adequate.

Have you measured the voltage drop on the hot tub circuit?

Odd, I get 10mm for the hot tub.

What voltage are you basing your calculation on? The load is stated as 6.5kW 26A which only makes sense if that rating is at 250V.
Based on 250V I get 10mm

But if you adjust the load for a 230V supply (assuming the majority of that load is heating and so resistive) it will be running at 5.5kW and 24A and again I get 10mm as being suitable.
Let me do it again. I think I may have used 32 amps as the load...

Edit:
Recalculated using 26 amps, still get 16mm² due to volt drop.

Edit 2:
I used installation method D1 assuming an underground cable run.

Last edited:

Ah, that'll be the difference.

We have been given a load of 6.5kW and 26A which only makes sense if that is at a rated voltage of 250V.

So you either need to calculate at the rated voltage or adjust the load value for the voltage you are going to do the calculation at.
Adjusting the load for a voltage of 230V (assuming the load is resistive, or mostly resistive, heaters) it becomes 5.5kW and 24A at 230V.

Ah, that'll be the difference.

We have been given a load of 6.5kW and 26A which only makes sense if that is at a rated voltage of 250V.

So you either need to calculate at the rated voltage or adjust the load value for the voltage you are going to do the calculation at.
Adjusting the load for a voltage of 230V (assuming the load is resistive, or mostly resistive, heaters) it becomes 5.5kW and 24A at 230V.
Thanks for pointing this out, however I believe I fully understand the nature of resistive loads in this context.

However, whichever way I calculate it, even with a design current as low as 24 amps, it doesn't reduce the volt drop enough for a 10mm² cable to comply with maximum 5% volt drop.

I just noticed the OP has given new figures from the rating plate of 220 V, 29 amps.
Using these figures, volt drop is still the limiting factor, according to my reckoning.

Reply to Swa install to hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net