Discuss SWA to shed - are two cores enough? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I tried to post to 'Electrical Advice' as a DIYer but had issues.

I'm laying SWA (about 40m of 10mm2 as advised by a pro) to a new workshop building that will have its own CU, circuit and ground spike. I want to do the donkey work and lay the cable before calling a pro to terminate and check.

I was surprised by the difference in price between the 2 and 3-core SWA of this weight. Is there any reason I would need 3-core based on the installation described above or will 2-core suffice given the building will have independent earth and the SWA sheath is connected back to the main house?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

The price difference of 40m 10mm2 SWA 2-core vs 3-core is (e.g. from Superlec) about ÂŁ55 plus VAT, which in the scheme of a new workshop building must be small change?

PS: always allow a bit spare each end to terminate, don't measure then buy to the exact metre, nothing worse than trying to terminate a cable that is not quite long enough!

On the surface of what you say, two core will suffice but pass it by the "pro" who advised the 10mm. There might be issues with disconnection times at that size.

For the sake of ÂŁ55, i'd go for 3 core. This means that you have the option of using the existing PME earthing if needed, and negating the need for using a RCD for fault protection with TT earthing

Thread relocated @thedawnbefore - the 'Electrical Advice' was a section header not a forum header hence you couldn't choose it.

Reply to SWA to shed - are two cores enough? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net