Discuss Swap a 3 stage LED transformer. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T800mc

DIY
Reaction score
I fitted this light in my hall:
https://www.lights.co.uk/concha-led...elZiWJn9Sqn7mpbSAkhoCgzEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has 3 modes 100%, 50%, and 25% brightness. To activate the modes you just turn it on and off and it will activate each one in turn.
On 100%, Off, On 50%, and so on.

I would like it to only come on at 25%. Can I do this simply by changing the transformer in the light and if so what would I change it to? Is any more information needed, shall I take the light of the wall to get a picture of the transformer?

The light fitting will likely have a bespoke electronic control module, not a 'transformer' in the traditional sense, but I understand what you mean. I suspect trying to get the light to behave in a way other than how it was designed, is too big an ask.
One possibility might be to replace the innards with an alternative driver, and use a dimmer at the light switch to set the brightness, but that may not appeal.

The light fitting will likely have a bespoke electronic control module, not a 'transformer' in the traditional sense, but I understand what you mean. I suspect trying to get the light to behave in a way other than how it was designed, is too big an ask.
One possibility might be to replace the innards with an alternative driver, and use a dimmer at the light switch to set the brightness, but that may not appeal.

I can't use a dimmer switch as it's linked with my stair lights that aren't dimmable.
I really want to replace the driver so when it's turned on it's set at 25% of its dimming capacity. I've attached a picture of the driver.
Is there a way to tell what 25% of the feed is and get a driver so that only outputs that?

Attachments

• PXL_20201018_130228595.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
Could I replace it with one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chanzon-Constant-Current-Lighting-Transformer/dp/B01N5SJ3L8

Then take one of these and put in the light housing before the feed to the driver and tweak it to what I want? So when power is applied the driver is dimmed to a certain level?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLGP400W.html
Yes you should be able to do something like that, but you need to choose a dimmable LED driver (bearing in mind the present one is 300mA 12w 33-40v), which I don't think that Amazon one is, and choose a dimmer module that is suitable for such an LED driver. I'm not up on dimming LED's with a 'constant current' driver (which seems a contradiction to me), but here is one that claims to do the job with a suitable t r i a c dimming module.

https://www.bblight.co/accessories-...ing-drivers-dimmable/300ma-dimming-led-driver

Yes you should be able to do something like that, but you need to choose a dimmable LED driver (bearing in mind the present one is 300mA 12w 33-40v), which I don't think that Amazon one is, and choose a dimmer module that is suitable for such an LED driver. I'm not up on dimming LED's with a 'constant current' driver (which seems a contradiction to me), but here is one that claims to do the job with a suitable t r i a c dimming module.

https://www.bblight.co/accessories-...ing-drivers-dimmable/300ma-dimming-led-driver
Thanks, I will give it a go!

Simply swapping the driver with a constant current driver with a lower rated output current would likely be all that's needed, though without several to try it would be difficult to determine what current would give the required brightness.

When I saw the module, I thought I was suggesting a PWM solution, but maybe that's not the case.
Can the OP obtain a 75mA driver anywhere?

Reply to Swap a 3 stage LED transformer. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net