Discuss Swim spa on 6mm swa? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Buster1

DIY
Reaction score
Upgrading the Hot Tub to a Swim Spa, current power for the hot tub is 6mm 3x core swa to a 40amp mcb and 40amp rotary isolator. Cable is clipped to wall not buried.
The swim spa we want has the following rating required: (copied from the spec page)
1x35A 230V/50Hz min.
Heater is 3kw.
Cable run is around 40 meters.

Is the 6mm I have in place still suitable for the swim spa?

35A is less than your existing 40A supply so therefore you should be ok.
assuming of course that it is rcd protected and all other requirements are met.

35A is less than your existing 40A supply so therefore you should be ok.
assuming of course that it is rcd protected and all other requirements are met.
Thanks James. It’s an rcd board so protected. It was more because of the cable distance I wondered if there would be an issue with it but sounds like it’s all ok.

Really it’s down to the installer to design, test and certify but for planning, it looks like it will be ok

This kind of install should really be designed by a professional competent person on site, with all respect if you miss information you yourself do not consider important could end up as a serious safety concern and you may get the wrong advice, guessing this is outdoors in a garden and if so requires you to have this signed off by either a recognised professional or the local council after inspection.
Please do not take this as a dig at DIY, it is constructive criticism, you may not realise the consequences for the health and safety of anyone using the equipment if designed wrong, it isn't just about re-using an existing supply, we as a forum do not know the original install meets regulations.
Do not assume an RCD board protects you, installation methods has priority here and a RCD should never be used as a sole means of protection if the install is not to standards, RCD's do fail and you will be wet and your body resistance very low thus making you prone to electric shock even with a functional rcd cover.

Last edited:
Upgrading the Hot Tub to a Swim Spa, current power for the hot tub is 6mm 3x core swa to a 40amp mcb and 40amp rotary isolator. Cable is clipped to wall not buried.
The swim spa we want has the following rating required: (copied from the spec page)
1x35A 230V/50Hz min.
Heater is 3kw.
Cable run is around 40 meters.

Is the 6mm I have in place still suitable for the swim spa?
For a DIY you seem to know quite a few of the important criteria or critical aspects that an electrician would consider in the installation and methods to installing your particular electrical equipment. Are you the actual installer? Installing hot tubs/ spas etc are most certainly not for the DIY or inexperienced

Looking at your posting history it comes across you lack the knowledge and competence for doing such work, I am happy to leave the thread open for your response so as to understand better the circumstances if they have since changed from your last yrs posts, if however you are asking while attempting to do this work without the required knowledge or competence then the thread will be shortly closed, trust me, it is not worth saving a few quid and ending up with a dangerous install because you haven't asked the correct questions or supplied all the info'.

Reply below or PM me if you want a quick chat first.

This kind of install should really be designed by a professional competent person on site, with all respect if you miss information you yourself do not consider important could end up as a serious safety concern and you may get the wrong advice, guessing this is outdoors in a garden and if so requires you to have this signed off by either a recognised professional or the local council after inspection.
Please do not take this as a dig at DIY, it is constructive criticism, you may not realise the consequences for the health and safety of anyone using the equipment if designed wrong, it isn't just about re-using an existing supply, we as a forum do not know the original install meets regulations.
Do not assume an RCD board protects you, installation methods has priority here and a RCD should never be used as a sole means of protection if the install is not to standards, RCD's do fail and you will be wet and your body resistance very low thus making you prone to electric shock even with a functional rcd cover.
I didn’t make it clearer in my original message. The existing supply was all done by a professional electrician and is signed off. I was merely wondering if the same supply was still adequate for the swim spa. I could of asked the electrician who installed it but it was nearly midnight and I knew someone on here would still be awake. The company will be installing the swim spa with their own electrician on the day, I’m not touching any of if.

I didn’t make it clearer in my original message. The existing supply was all done by a professional electrician and is signed off. I was merely wondering if the same supply was still adequate for the swim spa. I could of asked the electrician who installed it but it was nearly midnight and I knew someone on here would still be awake. The company will be installing the swim spa with their own electrician on the day, I’m not touching any of if.

That's fine then but be careful not to get complacent that the existing still complies, regulations have changed over the yrs and what may have satisfied requirements at the time of install may not meet current standards so it will still be a better option for a site visit to have it assessed by a competent professional in this case.
-We do not know the age of the existing install
-We do not know if it has had any routine inspections thus over time hasn't deteriorated.
-We do not even know the installation methods, so it is difficult to even say the cable is correctly protected without such info'

On the face of it, if it still complies to modern regulations in all aspects including installations methods even if installed under older regs then it probably will be ok but we cannot give advice based on assumptions when safety is involved.

Reply to Swim spa on 6mm swa? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net