Discuss Swimming pool lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Woodstore

I have just bought a small house in Portugal and with it a small swimming pool ( no metal steps just tiled steps). 2x 12 ac 300w lights are fitted with thick cables to a pump house/brick shed about 4m distant. Cables enter the pump house unconnected to anything. So need a consumer unit installed for the pump, 2 pool lights and a few sockets. The pump house is fed from the main house 18m away via 3 phase plus N cable feeding just the pump and pump house lights at the mo.
At the pool house, plan to add a 3 phase breaker and to balance it, each 300w transformer connected to different phase, 1 RCD for each pool light with its own overload breaker and 1 breaker for pump/lights/socket. To ask the right questions at the pool shop and get the right electrician, some help pls:
1. Is the 12v output of each transformer connected to its own RDC and overload breaker that then connects directly to each pool light?
2. Should the transformer primary be protected too?
3. The overload breakers for the pool lights, what size overload? Would guess 10A but as this is 12v (and not the usual 220v supply) and high current of 25A, what should the breaker rating be?
4. Is a local ground connection at the pool house consumer unit required given RCD breaker is to be used? Or is the neutral from the main house sufficient?
5. Does the pool/water itself need a ground connection? If so what's involved to retrofit it?

Many thanks

300watts@ 12V is, as you say, 25A, but the primary current @220v will be only 1.4A approx, but allow for the start-up surge of the transformer. only the 220V part/s of the circuit/s need RCD protection. that's by UK regs. not sure if portugal is different.

Reply to Swimming pool lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net