Discuss Taisl & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

irishsailor

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Current Regs state that that tails should be 25mm, however WPD recently fitted a Isolator and fitted 16mm tails. Is it acceptable practice for the tails to be uped to 25mm from the consumer end of isolater to the CU??

Also the supply is TNCS and the current Earthing conductor is 10mm, is it acceptable to put Henley block in and up the EC to 16mm

This in a domestic premise

Cheers

Chris

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Current Regs state that that tails should be 25mm, however WPD recently fitted a Isolator and fitted 16mm tails. Is it acceptable practice for the tails to be uped to 25mm from the consumer end of isolater to the CU??

Also the supply is TNCS and the current Earthing conductor is 10mm, is it acceptable to put Henley block in and up the EC to 16mm

This in a domestic premise

Cheers

Chris
hi chris,
what size fuse is in the cutout. if its 60 amp then 16mm tails are fine. 100 amp and you need new 25mm tails from isolator. earthing conductor needs replacing from cutout in 16mm to new cu either way ;)

I

irishsailor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Tail & Earth

Flukey

Thanks for your reply, It is 100A cutout so I agreed with what you said. So I will need to ask WPD to fit 16mm Earth. As I said they fitted the tails and fitted 16mm to the isolator. When questioned they stated that was all they fitted. So I will fit 25mm from consumer end to cover my back IAW wjth the Regs.

Thanks

Re: Tail & Earth

Flukey

Thanks for your reply, It is 100A cutout so I agreed with what you said. So I will need to ask WPD to fit 16mm Earth. As I said they fitted the tails and fitted 16mm to the isolator. When questioned they stated that was all they fitted. So I will fit 25mm from consumer end to cover my back IAW wjth the Regs.

Thanks
its down to you to fit the 16mm earth irish. as with the tails you are only concerned with consumers side of the isolator ;)

I

irishsailor

Flukey

It is a TNCS supply, am I ok to change the Earth and is it a big job

Chris

irish you can not touch the earth where it is connected into the service head you could terminate it in an earth block and put a bit of 16mm in to the cu and get wpd to replace thier bit

I

irishsailor

Mark

Thats what I wanted to know, is that acceptable practice for me to terminate the earth in Henley Block, and increase to 16mm form there, and get them to upgrade the earth

irish you can not touch the earth where it is connected into the service head you could terminate it in an earth block and put a bit of 16mm in to the cu and get wpd to replace thier bit
hi mark, if upgrading main earth i always connect straight into service head :eek:
is this a big no no then as i cant see the problem :confused:

I

irishsailor

Flukey what is the procedure for doing that

the only problem is that that connection belongs to the elec board same as main fuse and meter and should have a seal on which shouldnt be broken
we have all done it but thats the rules;)

I

irishsailor

So you dont have to actually pull the fuse sorry for the stupid questions, but really appreaciate your good advice

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Taisl & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom